The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fuel pump rewire and system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspharris

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2005
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
I am fixing to rewire my fuel pump with 10 gauge wire and was wondering if I could use the 10 gauge wire to rewire the fuel pump and run a very small amp? Will this affect the voltage to the fuel pump at all? Has anyone done this? What results have you had. Thanks in advance, Keith. :dsm:

Thats what i will be doing with mine. I used some think gauge stuff going to the back, dont remember the exact size, but the walmart sosche stuff for the dual amp kit, so its 8 gauge at least. I put the 100A fuse near the battery, then i bought a distribution block that has 2 30A fuses built into it. That way if the amp blows, it wont shut your fuel pump off. As long as you run thick enough wire back to where you will split them off, and arent running like a 1000w amp or something, you should be fine. The new wire you are running is so much better than the stock stuff its not even funny. Just use a dual fuse distribution block for saftey.

So you want to run an amp as well as your fuel pump from the same line? The purpose of the rewire is to give the fuel pump a consistant voltage, I don't see how having an amp kick in would help that.

That is exactly what I was asking, vc_wannabe. I also said very small amp.

That is exactly what I was asking, vc_wannabe. I also said very small amp.

Oops sorry, I have been pretty distracted lately. I have seen voltage logs before and it will effect the current. Usually not by much, and not enough to really effect performance unless you are reaching the end of your pump. By how much it will for this specific application I am not sure.

Thanks VC. I have decided to run 10 guage for the pump and 8 or 4 gauge for the amp once that is done. Thanks for the help guys, Keith.

If you run big enough wire, why would it matter? The source is still the same(battery). If you were to run 2 10 guauge 1 for fuel, 1 for amp, or run 1 bigger(6 or 8 guage whatever), and use a good distriubtion block, would the end result not be the same? If the amp is big enough it would drop your total volts for your whole car anyway, so i not sure how it would matter. Maybe im wrong, but just a thought.

Hey man, how did this work out for you? I was thinking about doing to same thing.

If I was going to do this I would personally run a thicker (8+ gauge) from the battery all the way back to insure enough flow to go to both withoutmessing with the fuel pump. Just my .02

That was going to be my original question (about using a capacitor). I've got an 8 gauge wire running to a distribution block for 2 amps. I was considering installing a capacitor for the existing distribution block and just splice in the power supply for the fuel pump before the capacitor. Hoping that the load the sound system is creating will be buffered by the capacitor and that hopfully the pump won't see much voltage variation. I'll let you know how it works out.

I don't see any reason this wouldn't work either. I've already got a 4AWG wire running to the back of the car and don't really want to run another cable through the firewall so why not use this one?

i think that you should run the capacitor after the distribution block on the amp side. that way if the amp requires some power from the capacitor, the fuel pump would not be trying to use some of that power as well. I think that if you buy a big enough capacitor it would not be an issue, but that is the way i would do it. if it doesn't work out so well then just reroute the wires so that the capacitor is before the distribution block.

Instead, what you guys should consider is running a 2AWG or 1/0 wire back to the trunk for the purpose of relocating the battery all together... This will accomplish a few things:

A) more room for "fun stuff" under the hood
B) better voltage, less harmful thermal conditions for the battery itself = consistent voltage
C) makes rewiring the fuel pump a breeze and can be usually accomplished with wire scraps ~3-4' in length.
D) it will be the last large wire you will even need to put through the firewall.
E) installing an amplifier would be real easy
F) more / consistent voltage for the fuel pump

If that's too much for you then I wouldn't run anything less then a 4AWG wire for your pump & sound system... Remember, the whole point of rewiring the fuel pump is to provide it with more power. -Adding other devices in on the same line could only reduce the power supplied to the fuel pump. -A Cap is basically a band-air for a poorly designed sound system that wasn't properly powered from the get go. -It's job is to buffer the voltage spike caused by the current draw of the amplifier under high output conditions. You can save yourself the cost of the band-aid cap by just relocating the battery... It's one of the best capacitors around. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back