The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

freeze plugs leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdst28

10+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
ok guys, i recently recieved my engine back from being rebulit by one of the supporting vendors on this site only to find out that after i reinstalled everything that 5-6 freeze plugs are leaking coolant. im up in arms over this. i have heard a theory that maybe there not set in correctly or when i start the engine they may expand and seal the leak??? looks to me like they never sealed them at all. Ive read that i could use jb weld to try and stop the leak but after paying as much as i did for this engine it would probably be wise to just pull everything back out and redo what should have already been done. Anyone out there have any suggestions???

oh man thats terrible. the RIGHT thing to do is pull it and make them fix it, or pull it and pull the plugs and set them right.

if you want to try and seal them with out pulling it i would use silicone, the RTV type, color and heat rating of your choice. JB weld isnt flexible and can crack do to the variances in expansion.

or, there is one type of that fix-a-leak stuff that works good, it looks like graphite in a clear fluid, i forget the brand. DO NOT use the entire bottle like the instructions say, use about 1/4th the bottle.

fix 2 and 3 are cheap and will PROBABLY last the life of the car, but you will loose sleep over them and it sounds like you spent a wad on this motor.... the choice is yours but i know what i would do.

ya im pretty upset bout it and its not like the place i sent it out to is a few miles away from home, more like 8-10 hr drive. i think im gonna do it correctly and save myself the trouble cause if i do just patch it and it doesnt stop leaking i know they wont take it back to fix it. i have recieved the new freeze plugs from them but thats about it as farr as customer service is concerned, didnt even offer to take off some money to go back and fix what they should have assured was already complete especially after the dough i layed down to get this reduild. makes me sick

they should have bought the OEM plugs, plus what about the time to pull it out again when you shouldnt have had to. when i do freeze plugs, rather they are aftermarket or OEM put a little bit of silicone around the inner edge, then warm the block up with a heat gun. then tap them in with a socket that just fits on the inside of the plug. never had one done like that leak, rather it was OEM or aftermarket.

I had a leaking plug when I did my motor. I used a press to put them in so I know they went in right. I think the problem was when I removed them I scratched the sealing surface of the block. I pulled the engine and sanded down the sealing surface of the block, then used JB weld because I didn't want to have to pull the motor again. It has held up fine for 5yrs now.

Why aren't you contacting the builder? They should cover the cost to get it out there and fix it.

i contacted them and they sent me new plugs and a few cheapo stickers. i think ill be on the phone with them today asking for some money back. sad thing is i had heard nothing but good things about this place. just my luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back