The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fixing/Replacing Actuator on Cylone Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EGLTAWLN

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2008
Edmonton, AB_Canada
I purchased a CYCLONE manifold from the classifieds here and one of the previous owners had hooked the butterfly actuator to a boost line and popped the rubber diaphragm inside. needless to say, it did not work.
i couldn't find a new or used one without purchasing another manifold. and there was no promise that the next one would work either.
i didn't like the wastegate method of activation so i had to fix the diaphragm.

i also have a 1986 toyota gts turbo. it used to use a t-vis setup to activate butterfly valves in the intake, but i removed it when it went turbo.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the first one is a toyota VD that i messed up by trying to drill a bigger relief hole:ohdamn:, the second is a toyota VD with the offsetting arm straightened:thumb:, the third is the mitsu VD:notgood:.

the vacuum diaphragm (VD for short) on the toyota is the same as the one one the mitsubishi. slightly different designs, but essentially the same thing. and ALOT more common.

the toyota VD has a longer offsetting arm, a different mount and the vacuum nipple is straight out the top of the housing. it also only has one small relief opening in the side of the housing.

so after proving the toyota VD was still in working condition with a vacuum pump, i cut off the mount, straightened out the arm so the offset was gone and welded a 1/2" i.d. nut that was also 1/2 wide to the bottom of the actuator to make up for the longer arm length(i didn't want to modify the arm length, i didn't want to break it).
i was very careful when welding so that i did not melt my new toyota VD.:nono:

then i drilled out the 4 welds holding the mitsu actuator to it's mount. after detaching the mount from the mitsu VD, i welded the toyota VD 1/2 nut mount to it.

so the factory cyclone mount still bolts and unbolts from the manifold.
the toyota tvis actuator is replacing the mitsu one using the mitsu mount and a spacer nut.

this shows the tvis VD installed with spacer mount.

this shows the tvis VD working at -15 on a vacuum pump.
this is not very pretty. but it could be. it works though, and that was the point.:rocks:

I finished installing the JDM ECI MULTI (CYCLONE) intake manifold on my talon today.:hellyeah:

i managed to use ALL toyota parts to activate the butterfly valves. the control solenoid worked in reverse, the vacuum canister and vacuum diaphragm actuator worked perfectly.:D

i have it activated by a hobbs pressure switch at 5 psi. i will eventually get a rpm switch for it.

this is the galant setup i did previously. it has a JDM CYCLONE intake.

this one uses the OEM mitsubishi parts and a DSM control solenoid.

overall, i like the upgrade and the challenge.
and the cars work sweet crusing around. very responsive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back