The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

F'in Shift Cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94talonwip

Probationary Member
Dec 11, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Hey Guys,
My bro had a shift cables brake on his car. So I thought It would be as simple as unbolting the shift cables and swapping in new ones. Well it turns out this is a real pita. This car is my old car. It is a 94 talon with a 1.8 standard. When I owned it about 1 year ago I converted it to a standard. When I converted it over to a standed I had no problem installing the shift cables, everything worked well the 1st time. So I got the 1st set of shift cables out of a 1g with a 2.0 (n/t of course). The cables routed fine, and those n shaped clips are in place that hold the cables both to the transmission linkage and to the shift linkage in the car. The only gears I can get the transmission into are 2 and 4. the shifter will not even "push" into 1 3 or 5. I figured maybe the 2.0 m/t cables were different so I went to the junktyard and found a 1.8 m/t and got the cables out of that. Reinstalled those cables and the same exact issue. All 3 sets of cables are the same in length. (old set, new set from 2.0, new set from 1.8) has anyone had a similar issue? What am I missing? I think it's kinda of funny that I can swap from a auto to standard but I can't handle a freaking set of shift cables! Any help is appreciated! Oh yea and when the cables broke (left cable when sitting in the car) the car would still shift in all gears except 1 and 2, all other gears worked! I have tried adjusting the cable with the adjustment inside the car with no change at all!

yes! ON the same subject, does anyone know the shift orientation on the tranny...I guess what im really asking is does anyone know how the shift levers on the tranny coincide with which gear the car is in...The cable broke on my bro on his way home from work. Maybe he fried the tranny on his way home...I just assumed a new set of cables would solve the issue.

I just recently replaced mine in a 92 tsi AWD and I had some trouble, I was missing a bracket on the tranny it comes up off the trans and out and then the bracket that holds the cables in the place mounts on top of that and thats what was keeping my cables from being in alignment. Also try adjusting them. If neither of those work make sure that the cables arent from a 91 because when I went to buy mine the 91 cables were in a different catagory as the 92-94 ones.

as said above, check the little bracket. Try flipping around and see what you have. A friend and me just ran into the same issues when we put a 91 tranny into a 90. When we swapped cables had to use the correct bracket to geat all gears...

hope this helps

Well, one of the cables moves the fork up and down, meaning from the 1-2 level to the 3-4 level, and again to the 5-R. This is the selector. The other cable actually puts it in either the up or down position, so depending on what level it's at, it will go into a different gear. You can try to put the transmission in neutral manually with your hands under the hood. Manipulating the arms will do this.

On another note, where the cables connect to the shifter base, you should be able to adjust the cable. There's a screw and jam nut built into the the cable. Take off your shift boot and take a look. With the cotter pins removed and the cable off the shifter stud, the cable loop should be lined up with the stud. Remember, at rest, the cable should line up and be ready to slip right on. You shouldn't have to push or pull the loop to get it lined up. Adjust them so this is so.

Here, I drew you a picture.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

thanks for the sweet pic! LOL I am pretty sure the trans is toasted. I am going to go to my bros tomorrow to check out the cables for the 3rd time....If I can't get this bi*** into any of the other gears with my bro in it holding down the clutch and me outside adjusting the shift levers, we'll just replace the transmission. I have 2 different bracket for the trans. 1 of them is off of a trans out of a 2.0. and it is "higher"/"taller". the other is shorter(1.8 trans bracket) . I have tried everything to get this bi*** working! Both sets of new cables I have (2.0 trans, and 1.8 trans) are identical and the guy at mitsu said the 2.0 trans shift cables and 1.8 trans shift cables have the same part number. So I know my cables aren't the issue. I have tried adjusting as much as possible with no change at all. Im thinking the trans took a dump like I said. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find either tomorrow or friday. Thanks for all the replies!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back