The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G FIAV not working?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
San Jose, California
I think that my FIAV might not be working because when I turn on my car it does not idle well at all, it does not have a high idle, maybe 400-500rpm. Then It slowly goes up to 1000rpm, which is my set idle speed with Dsmlink. The thing is that the opposite is supposed to happen. The idle should be high when I start the car and drop down to 1000rpm when fully warmed up. I actually unhooked my FIAV coolant hoses and blocked the coolant lines. Started the car, and nothing changed when it came to the cold start idle, and it just went up to 1000rpm. I think this might be a faulty FIAV, what do you guys think? I am open to any ideas and thank you all for the help. I do not want to block the valve or get rid of the function of the valve, I want it back. Thanks

Pop the freeze plug off the tbody, adjust the spring seat inside w/ needle nose pliers turning clock wise until the functionality returns (probably have to do trial and error here), reinstall freezplug w/ spark plug socket and light tapping, and apply silicone to seal.

Don't rely on DSMLink's limited range of adjustment on the ISC valve to keep your idle steady. The proper way to set your idle is w/ your BISS screw. Is your base timing set to 5BTDC via the cas? I would check boost leaks too.... BUT a good tuning system can idle your car w/ a blocked off FIAV and no ISC just by adjusting warmup AFR and TIMING.

On Dsmlink you can ground the proper pins in the ecu with a press of the button and then adjust for the idle using the BISS screw. Then you stop grounding the pins on the ecu and the ISC keeps the idle at what you set it. This whole thing works fine for me. The only thing I cannot get is a nice higher idle when I first turn the car on, and I cannot get that now with the FIAV hooked up and without it hooked up. I think it is stuck with the valve closed because the idle always starts low and goes up, not the other way around. I also do not have the FPS hooked up, and that aids with cold starts because it is supposed to raise the fuel pressure for a minute when you start the car. I do not think the FPS being gone is the problem at all though. If I turn the spring seat clockwise, will that open the valve more or close it? I believe it is stuck closed at the moment. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

turning the seat clockwise is going to make the seat closer to the spring so that the spring can close easier. The metal the spring is made out of expands with the heat of the coolant... so when the car warms up fully the spring seats.... problem is the metal wears out and it doesnt' extend as much over a long period of time and begins to not seat at all even when the car is warm. This would be a reason for an unstable idle once the car was warmed up... but not while the car is cool. I would honestly check for leaks... and check the coils on the ISC w/ an ohm meter.

Also... like I said, a good tuning system can idle/warmup your car even if you do not have a fiav and an isc.

Try looking at www.ds-map.net (you can more than cover the cost of this if you sell your dsmlink) if you want to leave silly problems like this in the past. I run w/ no fpr solenoid hooked up and no isc or fiav and my idle is high when i start and it lowers as the car warms up and never stumbles or hunts... it behaves exactly as I expect it to.

turning the seat clockwise is going to make the seat closer to the spring so that the spring can close easier. The metal the spring is made out of expands with the heat of the coolant... so when the car warms up fully the spring seats.... problem is the metal wears out and it doesnt' extend as much over a long period of time and begins to not seat at all even when the car is warm. This would be a reason for an unstable idle once the car was warmed up... but not while the car is cool. I would honestly check for leaks... and check the coils on the ISC w/ an ohm meter.

Also... like I said, a good tuning system can idle/warmup your car even if you do not have a fiav and an isc.

Try looking at www.ds-map.net (you can more than cover the cost of this if you sell your dsmlink) if you want to leave silly problems like this in the past. I run w/ no fpr solenoid hooked up and no isc or fiav and my idle is high when i start and it lowers as the car warms up and never stumbles or hunts... it behaves exactly as I expect it to.

Where to begin... The car idles perfectly when warm like I said a few times bro. The car idles like crap and I have to keep it alive with the throttle when it is cold. So it idles bad while cold... It idles well when warm... I want it to idle high when I start the car and it is not doing that. If anything my spring and valve in the FIAV has stopped working in the closed position. I do not have boost leaks. I already said the ISC works perfectly and these have been checked. I understand that there are other programs out there that work well. I am using dsmlink for now, and will find the problem and fix it. Just to repeat, it idles well when warm and bad when cold, the idle issues are when it is COLD. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back