The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Factory chrome wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

importpower99

15+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2006
fogelsville, Pennsylvania
Hello i have a 1999 gst spyder with factory 16" chrome wheels. Now i was going to take them off and sell them to get bigger wheels but two different people told me not too. They said they are worth big money because their rare. Now i have never seen any of these before so i wanted to find out if it was true. And if so, how much? They look like the factory 16" 99 eclipse wheels except they are chrome. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 355
they are a bit harder to find but I wouldn't really call them rare. They came on gst's and spyders. They look sweet but they're pretty heavy espcially for 16's

I've got 'em, so I wouldn't consider them "rare". :rolleyes:

the chromies were an option for 97-98 and standard on 99 if remember correctly. I also would not consider them "rare." I too have them just wrapped in black bags in my dads backyard. Anyway, they wheels look nice but are too small (16x6) and heavy (~20lbs).

What is more important is that you get some 17x8 rims with a 245/40/17 tires. :thumb: Don't get some skinny 17x7 Honda wheels :notgood:

ya but if you get 17x8 rims and you dont get the right tire setup and your car is lowered then your going to destroy your tires on the inside of the fender wall. If the tires are too big and the car is too low your going to mess stuff up.

all he has to do is get 17x8 with a 40-38 mm offset and some decent coilovers. Its not that complicated. I have 17x8 with a 35mm offset and 245/40 and i don't rub. My coilovers ONLY have a spring rate of 9kg/mm Front & 6kg/mm Back:dsm:

ya but if you get 17x8 rims and you dont get the right tire setup and your car is lowered then your going to destroy your tires on the inside of the fender wall. If the tires are too big and the car is too low your going to mess stuff up.

Ya, I lowered my car with the wrong offset. I must be rubbing one off at least once a week.:cool:

Im sporting the chrome wheels as well. Mines a 98 so I guess the person before me opted to upgrade them. Been planning on getting 17's but I just cant decide which wheels I like the best.

Mine has them as well. they are badass looking when the car is clean and the wheels are all nice and shiney. Although they dont do to well in the chicago weather, 2 of mine started to have the chrome peel away near the center cap.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine has them as well. they are badass looking when the car is clean and the wheels are all nice and shiney. Although they dont do to well in the chicago weather, 2 of mine started to have the chrome peel away near the center cap.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If I had a black GS-T I would not change my stock chrome wheels, but thats me

I like the stock chromes, but DAMN they are 20lbs each!?

Does anybody know how much the 97-99 GSX wheels weigh?

Were the chromes an option in 97? I thought they only came on 98-99 GS-Ts and GS-T spyders. The GS had the standard non chrome versions. And in 97 they were all non-chrome. I have yet to see a 97 GS-T with chrome wheels. Thats how I can easily tell its a 97. That and not having a black dash with grey interior. And having the black inserts on the interior controls with the grey dash.

This is a little off topic but related to stock rims as well. I was gonna go for bigger rims but decided to do some maintenance and other things, so im just gonna get some new tires because these ones are pretty old. Question is if anyone knows a good tire that can replace my old ones to wrap around the stock chrome 16's? Those tires m1nd64m3 looked nice, mostly because they were just cleaned by the looks of it, ha. -thanks-

Ya the tires on those wheels are goodyear eagle rsa's. they look nice but they suck compared to the toyo proxies on my new wheels.

I used the purple meguires tire cleaner to make them that shiny. good shit, the shine lasts for a while. and on the wheels i was using wheel cleaner to clean them and then windex afterwords to really make them look good.

So the Toyo proxies are on the rims in your avatar, not your stock rims? Im just lookin for a good/decent pair for my stockers, as i am going to be spending money on gauges, turbo timer, and changing tb and all that jazz. New rims will have to wait i decided. thanks

Also here some good info these are the top 10 tires in the Max Performance category
at tire rack and thier prices for your size (205/55ZR16, unless otherwise noted).

1) Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position $126 ea.
2) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (Not available in 16" sizes)
3) Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 $133 ea.
4) Dunlop SP Sport Maxx $108 ea.
5) Potenza S-03 Pole Position $131 ea
6) Pirelli PZero Nero (Not available in 16" sizes)
7) Bridgestone Potenza RE050A $80 ea. (225/50ZR16)
8) Michelin Pilot Sport (Not available in 16" sizes)
9) Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A (Not available in 16" sizes)
10) Dunlop SP Sport 9000 $84 ea (205/50ZR16)

The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (7) and the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 (10) are on clearance, thats why they are so cheap.

**edit** Heres something intresting. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup which the is the Top rated competetion track tires rate lower then Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in both wet and dry road.

good tires all depend on what kind of weather you are going to be using them. If you only use your car in the (dry/wet) get some Ultra High Performance/Maximum Performance tires. If you use your car in the all conditions (dry,wet,snow,etc) get some Ultra High All-Season Tires.

Just look on tirerack.com for the reviews of tires that fit your budget.

Well if you do decide to get rid of 'em pm me with what you want for them.

RedTurboEclipse said:
I like the stock chromes, but DAMN they are 20lbs each!?

They're good for wheel hop and traction. :p

laserspeeddemon said:
If you're going for best bang for the buck try the Kumho ECSTA MX

I used to be a big fan of Kumho MX tires, but then I came across this link and this link. As you can clearly see in the second link, the MX tires suck something awful, and overall placing last out of 11 tires tested. I don't care about the price savings when a particular "high performance" tire comes in dead last. :| It would be a different story if all the tires tested close to each other's results, but that just isn't the case here.

Oh sure, Kumho rates the MX in the elite in its own line of tires, but what does that really tell you? That it's a simple marketing ploy.

Jeez are they really that heavy? I run the chrome GST wheels on my 95 GSX.

How much does the OZ racing wheel race?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back