The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spyder Factory Big Brake Kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
I've read all the items about the Factory Big Brake upgrade on VFAQ. I have a 97 gst spyder, with shot rotors and pads. I found a 3000gt and stealth in the local junkyard with there calipers and rotors still intact front and rear. Now will the rotors and calipers completely bolt on to my gst? Or will I need to use different rotors? I got kinda confused by the wording in the VFAQ.

Any help is great.
Chris

Doesn't your car already have two piston calipers on the front? If not, make sure the Stealth in the junkyard is an n/t if you're looking to do a straight swap... though I'm pretty sure the turbo Stealth calipers are 4 piston which would be an even BETTER upgrade!
Looks like you can swap rotors and calipers over fine as long as you have the brackets for the calipers as well. Rear calipers are unnecessary to swap.

Having said that, going to the junkyard to buy brake parts is not very ideal - calipers/brackets I can understand but nothing more. When it comes to brake parts (like rotors) buy new.

Ok, cool. For the rear end, I want to it for the proportion front to rear. Anyone know if that will swap over too?

like misphit said you have to make sure its a non turbo 3000gt/ stealth. if they are turbo, it will not be a direct swap. Also, you have to take the year of the 3000gt/stealth into consideration because older ones use different brake lines then a 2g. As for the rear calipers, im not goin to say yes or no. The calipsers are mounted differently than a 2g. the 3000gt/stealth calipers look like the 1g calipers. if you want to upgrade your rear calipers, id go with evo 8 or 9 calipers but your stock rear calipers (if they work) will be just fine.

Wouldnt swapping to N/T 3000 Gt brakes be the same as swapping to GSX brakes? I know Gsx brakes are an upgrade for us FWD guys (that what I did). So if the 3000 Gt's are the wrong year you might have better luck finding some from a GSX. Good luck.

If you want bigger brakes and more of a direct bolt-on, you can always opt for gsx brakes, they are 2 piston and have plenty stopping power. As for the rear brakes you can just upgrade the pads and rotors and you'll be just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back