The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Exhaust Gasket Help/Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutKastGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
St. Amant, Louisiana
Hey guys ive searched around a bit and can't seem to get this right. im trying to change my exhaust gasket on the downpipe. is there a certain bolt spec to torque to, because im almost positive this is the source of my exhaust leak. I have tightened them as much as i could with the socket wrench. turned the car on and i can still feel the air coming out the side, and hear/smell the leak. any help much appreciated.

Warped flanges are a common problem and makes it tough for the gasket to seal. Small warps a gasket can seal, big warps not so.

They don't appear to be warped but i can't garuntee. I just tried to scrape the old gasket off the best i could and put the new one on. so if it is warped, is there any way to fix them. sand them Dow ?

Yes, they can be fixed, but it's no picnic. Of course, it's easier with the components off the car, but it can be done with them on, but it's a much bigger pain. Anyway, probably the easiest way is with a bench-top belt sander, but of course, not everyone has one of those. For a hand tool, the best is a big metal file. It's got to be long enough to fit right across the flange. If you lay something long and flat against the flange (like a big file or firm ruler), you'll see if it's warped and how bad it is. If the file you use isn't big enough to go right across the flange plus have a bunch overhanging: get a bigger file. Otherwise, you won't take out any warp, you'll just make it worse 'cause a short file is just going to follow the warp. I suppose you could use course sandpaper too, but you must attach it to a long, straight block of wood (or something similar) so that you sand flat and true, otherwise, you'll just end up sanding down the warp in the exact shape it is now.

It may just be easier to go buy another one, and save yourself the headache..

I will try cleaning it up a bit more And seeing if there is any warpage. thanks guys.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back