The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Rebuild Tips and Guide Lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsMWookie

15+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Basically taking on this endeveor to rebuild my engine one way or another. I could use some help on suggestions. I want to do a stock rebuild for as little as possible. Just want a fresh stock motor to start with nothing extravagant. At most a port job and 3-angle valve job.

I am going to buy the SBR rebuild kit for 499$

Mainly worried about whether i can hone the block and just get the assembly balanced?

Then what should I do about the head and resurfacing it ? suggestions pls.....just remember STOCK rebuild 3-angle valve job at most and port and polish.

You will never know if you need a light hone or if you have to bore it out untill you measure the bores and see if they are still in spec. Just make sure you take numerous measurements with a micrometer to be safe. Also I recommend to have it torque plate honed. :thumb:

only way to find out is yank the head, see how the cylinders look, if theyre is still a crosshatch, the cylinders are probly in pretty good shape and still round, in which case u can probly have the block honed/balanced and on your way. Id have the block surface checked for flatness for sure while its out, and have the head checked, skip the port n polish, if your on a budget, thats a waste IMO. If you want to freshen the head up, just have the valves cut, new seals installed, surface checked and milled if needed.

Not to tight of a budget but mainly just want to be the most cost affective as possible....

How much does it cost to have a block bored and resurfaced and all that shit ive never priced it?

Also would it be more complicating say.....if my blocks cylinder walls arent to good but i have a block with good walls but a bad piston ring lying around....would that be any more complicated or just use existing block?

Hi,

I had my 1G head recently re-done. The estimation was $375 low cost/basic rebuild and $700 complete everything new. This was at a local shop, no porting and polish. After everything was done my ticket was a little over $500. It included the basic cleaning, checking, resurfacing, new seals, regrind valve seats, regrind cams, some broken studs taken out, a few new valves, ...
If I find the receipt I can give more details about what they did.

Sven

here to have my head resurfaced, valves cut, new seals, head cleaned i was told 235$. Boring of a block usually is like 150$. Decking of a block is usually around 50$. This is highly dependant on the machine shop, some shops want 300$ to assemble a motor, some want 650$.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back