The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Engine rattle, what is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asexton6969

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ok so since ive rebuilt my engine. My car has always made this little rattle at about 2500 rpm. When you accelerate it goes away. Yet, if your cruising down the ave barely giving it gas it rattles loud. I still have no idea what it could be. Its not knocking really but more rattling. Any ideas from anyone. I cant even pinpoint what part of the engine it is coming from. Please throw me some ideas so i can check them out to hopefully discover my problem.

Did you eliminate the balance shaft ? What prompted the rebuild?

check your heat shields. check your down pipe see if the heat shield is rusted or erroded*

You have a small goblin living in your engine who likes to mess with you.

Seriously. I had sorta the same thing. Does it go away if u press the clutch in? Might be the TOB.

I bought the car thinking it was blown. It was repossessed and they think the guy blew it up before letting them take it. It started up but had a real bad knock. Took it apart on the rod bearings were ripped to pieces and the crank was severely messed up. It was also a pretty fresh R&R engine so we reused some parts cuz they looked good. Well now it rattles just a bit at different rpms. The balance shafts were removed when we got the car. Its also automatic, yes i know :notgood: , my thought was maybe we screwed up in the rebuilding process or that the removal of the B/S causes the engine to vibrate just enough. Let me know what you think.

so even though you've rebuilt the engine, err simply replaced the chewed up bearings/crank you are still getting some knock??? did you replace the wrist pins?

this same shit just happened to me LAST NIGHT. 2nd time i've gotten knock on a DSM.... seriously.. WTF.

This is the exact same thing that's happening to me except it's coming from the valve cover... It only does it when you lightly exccelerate not anymore or less...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back