The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmanfrost

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Okay I knocked out my 2 problems...1( getting it to start....2( Get the transmission changed for a good one... Now here is my question according to the guy the engine has around 700 miles on it... Plus whatever my quick trip around the corner added before she got towed to the shop for the tranny...

Now my question what should I do when I get her back... I mean she ran strong on my test drive.. It was my first time being in a turbocharged car and I loved it:thumb: ..Thanks in advanced for the help..

I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you explain a little on what information you are needing?

Are you asking what to modifications to do? Cause the paths are in the tech tab at the upper left of the page.

And as said, more info!

Can you give some background on the car? So you bought a car with 700 miles on the motor, destroyed the transmission and just recently had it replaced, is that right? Now you are needing to know if you can drive the car aggressively now that stuff is fixed, is that correct? If so, I'd probably start by changing the oil as that first start break in oil change may have never been done. You might pull the spark plugs one by one to look for anything out of the ordinary as far as wear or discoloration. If you have any way to log, that would be good too. But other than that, normal driving with a few spirited pulls (not all the way up to redline though) shouldn't be bad...

I purchased the car with the tranny already slipping had it for about a week... Just got it started yesterday and then shipped it to get the tranny fixed... So when I get it back check the spark plugs and get an oil changed?

Well...you really have something that could be in perfect mechanical shape, or in crappy shape. Honestly, the only way to know is to tear the car apart and inspect it. Since this isn't practical at all, and the car history is really unknown (like how hard it was driven, was maintenance done, etc.), the best thing to do would be to do all maintenance first. Your mechanic said that the engine looked like it was around 700 miles, but there isn't a way of knowing that without knowing that the engine was truly rebuilt 700 miles ago. Stick with normal driving for now, and plan on doing all maintenance first. It's your best bet to ensure you aren't replacing an engine to go with that new transmission...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/382423-maintenance-tune-up.html

You should do basic maintenance like you would with any new car for starters. Then start doing slightly bigger things like checking for boost leaks and such.

Okay... so basically handle all the maintenance stuff and should be good... From what the PO told me he rarely got on it.. Its pretty much stock expect for the intake, BOV and exhaust

Rub the engine with cheetah blood. That will make it unbelievably fast.

Seriously though, make a checklist on all of the maintenance items on the car. I good one will have over a hundred things to check. Go through and make sure everything is where it should be. After that, have fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back