The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

engine knock in the block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djuorna22

Proven Member
Mar 3, 2014
Marinette, Wisconsin
tried reading other posts but my question is un answered. so my engine started to knock, should have looked into it better but went away. then started again so its sat in garage since so I hopefully don't ruin anything else just wondering on ideas. I would think a rod would be more consistent not on and off again. but otherwise how about, cams, lifters, some sort of bearing, something with the valves. any ideas help or even how to pinpoint it better. sounts like loud knock it upper part of the block. if I stay under 2k rpms you don't hear it. I'd like to fix with running it as little as possible.

Pull the oil pan and take a look.

That will be the quickest way to see what is going on.

Look at the rods where they bolt to the crank, should be golden in color, if blue or black, not good.

Give them an up down wiggle, should be almost nothing.

Then with a flash light, check the 2 front BS bearings, then check out the rear BS bearing.

The first thing I would do is drain the engine oil and look for flakes or shavings in it and also cut open the oil filter.

The first thing I would do is drain the engine oil and look for flakes or shavings in it and also cut open the oil filter.

Pull the oil pan and take a look.

That will be the quickest way to see what is going on.

Bogus is correct, quickest way and most accurate. As far as draining the oil, that wont tell much, the shavings get trapped with in the oil pan and don't necessarily make their way out when the oil is drained.

well shouldn't I drain the oil before pulling the pan off? but I really don't think it's a rod. could be wrong so i'll check but otherwise how hard is it to pull head off to look upo there? or am I better off pulling whole engine. I'm comfortable doing it myself so I don't feel like paying someone, lack of time is my main problem, but also I have a few friends to help with stuff I don't know

Yes drain the oil out of the pan, but if it is a bad bearing, most of the flake will settle in the bottom of the pan and not flow out with the oil.

With what you have described, I would say a rod, for the simple fact it is not present at low rpm/load.

You may have started to spin a rod bearing, but it is not bad enough to have burnt the rod yet..

What do you hope to see by pulling the head?

...more like top end clatter with a stretched belt....

He's giving a clue here: only knocks above 2KRPMs, where I suspect that when power is added the rod is knocking against the journal showing an increased gap in bearing to journal clearance.

Now, wonder if he's confusing rod knock against a dying lifter if he's hearing loud top end knocking....

as far as rod or rod bearing how accurate is the test where you pull spark plug wire off one by one when knock stops that's the one with the problem? and any easy ways to get downpipe off so I can remove oil pan if needed?

as far as rod or rod bearing how accurate is the test where you pull spark plug wire off one by one when knock stops that's the one with the problem? and any easy ways to get downpipe off so I can remove oil pan if needed?

You need to get the book or download it off here...
You have to remove the downpipe and a lot more... T case and left member had to come off on my 1g GSX

when I held it revving to when the knock starts I pulled plug wires one by one off and knock stayed consistent the whole time. does this make the list of possible causes smaller? like could it still be a rod or rod bearing

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back