The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

EGT Reads 125 when unhooked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2004
St. Louis, Missouri
I just bought a used (100 miles) EGT from someone off ebay. Autometer cobalt for 87 dollars, probe looks barely used so I think I got a deal :thumb:

Back to the question, it is reading 125 right now, unhooked in the box. Can someone explain this or did I get screwed?

It uses an electrical signal, its not out of calibration or anything. All is well.
If it were mechanical I'd be worried!

still seems odd to me - but now that im thinking about it
my EGT gauges used to just go were ever when it didnt have power on it also.

Everything is fine. You can see mine is showing almost 400 degrees and trust me I keep the apartment a little cooler than that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks guys, just gotta put this on the list of parts to install now :d'oh:

I got mine installed today and notice the same thing, each time the turn the power on and off the gauge moves up abit

mavisky said:
Everything is fine. You can see mine is showing almost 400 degrees and trust me I keep the apartment a little cooler than that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My EGT do the same...when I turn off my key,that small "finger":) jump down from 400 to 350..
I heard about calibration.. How does it work? What I have to do to work wel?
Sorry for Bad English

You don't need calibration.

My boost gauge does that also.

For electronic gauges it's fine.

Most electrical units use cold junction compensation. It is automatic correction for ambient temperature changes at the cold junction of the thermocouple. The temperature you see is what the gauge/sensor is reading for ambient temp.

If your gauges 125 F and is mechanical (using a capillary), that means the unit is definately out of calibration as it should only be at room temp. (if the scale goes that low) mind you alot of these cheap gauges are really only accurate in the middle 2/3 of scale anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back