The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Eclipse GS not so good idea after all?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demiantorp

Probationary Member
Jul 6, 2021
Jalisco, Central_America
Hello! I'm completely new to the DSM scene but have always wanted to get a car to start modding and make it a daily drive. I just got the money to get one and start with all the process but...
I was about to get an Eclipse 2G 1995 GS so, as every newbie should do i was researching and reading the forum. And came across with a lot of things about the different motors. The one that I was thinking of buying is a 420a instead of the 4g63 and it doesn't have AWD, thing is that I want it to be a daily drive and use it occasionally on drifting and casual races so again, reading and researching about motors the 4g63 is an overall better motor than the 420a BUT I live in Mexico where all the 420s came from so finding parts shouldn't be that difficult. I'm not so sure abt putting a turbo on the 420 because it's such a hassle but I don't know if it's worth if I only use it for casual stuff and the main reason why I want it it's to drive it "normally".
So basically the question that I have is: Is it worth buying the Eclipse even thou it has the 420a if it's just for ocasional and casual drifting/racing with little modding as side dish on the long run or do I pass on that and keep searching for a 4g63?

Save the headache, be patient...and find a GST/GSX.

The real question is *why* do you want an Eclipse? Looks? History? To be different? To be fast?

We’ve listened to the banter over which engine is better, the 4G63 or the 420a. We’ve owned both and, although we didn’t modify the 420a, it ran its heart out for us, while the 4G63 were less predicable.

For street use, the 420a has performance mods that will bring up the power levels so you can have fun. There are plenty of threads on here about steps to up your horsepower with a 420a.

Long term, the 420a front subframe will accept an Evo 4G63, or even the newer Evo 4B11 series.

If you are looking for a car to go drifting in, the Mitsu 4wd is not going to work for you. The viscous center diff will not allow enough slip.

Buy the car you love, do all of the basic maintenance, learn to wrench well, and enjoy it.

Be sure to post pictures when you get one.

The real question is *why* do you want an Eclipse? Looks? History? To be different? To be fast?

We’ve listened to the banter over which engine is better, the 4G63 or the 420a. We’ve owned both and, although we didn’t modify the 420a, it ran its heart out for us, while the 4G63 were less predicable.

For street use, the 420a has performance mods that will bring up the power levels so you can have fun. There are plenty of threads on here about steps to up your horsepower with a 420a.

Long term, the 420a front subframe will accept an Evo 4G63, or even the newer Evo 4B11 series.

If you are looking for a car to go drifting in, the Mitsu 4wd is not going to work for you. The viscous center diff will not allow enough slip.

Buy the car you love, do all of the basic maintenance, learn to wrench well, and enjoy it.

Be sure to post pictures when you get one.
Thanks a lot for all the replies!
And I wanted it for a lot of reasons, it was my childhood dream car and I love the way they look, but you know what I'm going to do a bit of research on how to maintain in good use and add a few more HPs to the 420 and most likely going to get that one.
Will be posting if I end up buying it, thanks a lot for the message it helped me to ease my mind hahaha

If you get the 420a there is a chance you will regret not getting a 4g63...on the other side if you get a 4g63 there is no chance you will regret not getting a 420a.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back