The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

dsm guru's test your knowledge with this issue!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1L3S

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2012
maple grove, Minnesota
I recently sold my gst and bought a gsx (golf clap :p )

the gsx was sold to me from a guy that didnt know anything really about cars. He took the motor out to paint the engine bay and do a timing job (skipped the broken balance shaft belt while he was in there) I bought the car non running for 1600 bucks. Using my 2.3 engine for my gst anyway so no big deal on that. The guy fought with me for 20 min about how I cant tow the car home on a 2 wheel dollie, I told him all I have to do is pull drive shaft. Or unbolt and secure shaft to under carriage. :hellyeah:

His lack of knowledge and my stupidity for buying another mans project is making me regret selling my gst :cry:

Now the issue im having is on turning the key. All I get is the fuel pump turning on. No click from starter nothing at all.

Now when I climb under the car and bridge the starter she cranks but wont fire.

Before hand when jumping starter I got nothing. I had to grind down the paint and make better grounds.

There are 2 connectors behind the radio that have nothing connected to them. I took pictures of them but unaware how to post pics. I can email them to you though.

So to recap
Not firing
not cranking
hear fuel pump turn on.
Jumped starter. Starter is good
swapped out mpi relays.

Im going crazy!!!!

No clue how to answer your question, but you can post pictures by hosting them on a website (such as photobucket) and then just copy the image link and post here :).

Good luck and I'm sure someone here will help you figure out the issue.

Is the ecu completely plugged in? ? Its right behind the radio. ???

Test the ignition switch, starter relay and wiring from switch to relay to starter. Get this part fixed first than find out if the engine is getting fuel and spark.

Pull out a spark plug and see if you get a good spark. While the plug is out and after the motor is turned over few times check that there is fuel in the cylinder. Won't hurt to check each cylinder.

As far as testing the switch, a volt-ohm meter would work just fine. To test the starter relay, put a jumper wire from + of the battery to the little terminal on the starter (do unplug the wire from the terminal first) and watch what happens. You should hear a loud click right before the starter will turn over. To test the wiring, put a test light between the unplugged little starter wire and a ground. Now when the key is turned to 'start' the light should light up, provided the ignition switch is good.

Pull out a spark plug and see if you get a good spark. While the plug is out and after the motor is turned over few times check that there is fuel in the cylinder. Won't hurt to check each cylinder.

As far as testing the switch, a volt-ohm meter would work just fine. To test the starter relay, put a jumper wire from + of the battery to the little terminal on the starter (do unplug the wire from the terminal first) and watch what happens. You should hear a loud click right before the starter will turn over. To test the wiring, put a test light between the unplugged little starter wire and a ground. Now when the key is turned to 'start' the light should light up, provided the ignition switch is good.

Ive done this. I pulled injector rail placed on paper towel to test

also pulled spark plug wire added screw drive and watched arc

Clutch position switch that goes bad could cause this problem too. On a 1g you can just unplug the connector. Crank and cam sensors definitely could be the problem.

3 things needed to start an engine air/fuel mix, spark and compression. you have to find out which one is missing. fuel @ the rail doesn't always mean it has enough pressure and usually crank sensors wont let the tach off zero when they fail

3 things needed to start an engine air/fuel mix, spark and compression. you have to find out which one is missing. fuel @ the rail doesn't always mean it has enough pressure and usually crank sensors wont let the tach off zero when they fail

Im getting no spark anynore. I had spark before. It ran then wouldnt start again :/

I bought a resistor pack. Still no spark.

Does anyone know how to test the coil pack ?

I didnt check if the injectors are firing. But if they arent firing as well. Isnt that a cam sensor issue ?

just dont understand how it ran. Then reved to 3k and now wont start again ?

Almost sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Maybe you finally built up enough fuel for it to crank, then didn't have enough pressure (or volume) to continue running or start again.

Then again, that wouldn't really explain the no crank issue that is now solved.

Went out and made more grounds today. She started then reved to 3k. Then died.

Now it wont start at all. Just cranks ( at least its cranking though :) )

Wondering if a bad crank sensor or cam sensor would cause a no fire ?

A bad crank sensor is what determines when to fire the spark plugs, so yes. I've had a balance belt break and take the sensor out. I had fuel and crank but no spark. I tested mine thru the plug by the top of the timing belt. Triangular plug, can't miss it. Test it with an ohm meter. If you search how you to test it exactly, you will find out. I'd tell you but it was years ago and I forgot. Luckily it didn't skip timing on me or anything.

And on another note, the starter relay is also behind the stereo so maybe it's not plugged in from what you described???

Right, if your injectors aren't firing and you're not getting spark you probably have a bad CAS or wiring. I'm guessing something wiggled loose. Did you wire a 1g CAS in your 2g? The wiring may be a great place to start.

Accidentally deleted my post while trying to update it LOL. Could you tell us more about the car's setup now? You mentioned the 2.3l you were eventually gonna do and said this guy has monkeyed with stuff, is it a full 7 bolt and is it a 95/96 CAS/CPS setup or a 97+?

Accidentally deleted my post while trying to update it LOL. Could you tell us more about the car's setup now? You mentioned the 2.3l you were eventually gonna do and said this guy has monkeyed with stuff, is it a full 7 bolt and is it a 95/96 CAS/CPS setup or a 97+?

I have a 96 2.3 block. That used to have a 1g head (so I do have a spare black top cas) :)

Gsx that I just bought is a 95. I swapped the 2g head onto my 2.3 block and put it in the gsx.

Yeah I remembered to attach the crank sensor :) and cam sensor.

Do you know how to test them ?

Should I just install the 1g cas ? (Then I have to have the wiring harness)

Could it be ecu issue ?

The car had a key driver installed on it. Where you pull this small sd card on a key chain that ws a ignition kill. I uninstalled it and rewired everything to stock.

Ive read the forums about the no spark and fuel issues. I just dont see why it ran and started. Fireed up with no effort really. Then died out and wont start again. I have a video of it. I just dont know how to post it.

[ame=http://youtu.be/lp9EAZFn4X0]Gsx high idle - YouTube[/ame]

^^^^^^ here is the video

And for shits and giggles here is the 2.3 in my old setup :) >>>>>>

2g dsm (2.3 hx40) - YouTube

So im getting fuel to the rail. Just no spark from the plugs or click from the injectors.

I just dont understand because it started before.

The wires all all connected. I dont know how to properly test the sensors. But I connected the ohm reader to the wiring harness that goes to the sensors ans im seeing current.

Just not getting spark or injectors to fire.

I replaced the resistor pack. It cant be the coil pack because that dosent control the injectors ?

Im confused on this one completely. If there is anyone in the metro(mn) area that has a ecu I swap and try ?

You need to get to testing these components if you want to diagnose this. You need to find out if the cas is working, and find out if the wiring from the cas to the ecu is good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back