1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Driver side axle

Posted by Austin Jedrzejek, Aug 21, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Austin Jedrzejek

Austin Jedrzejek Proven Member

Joined Apr 23, 2015
    Cleveland, Ohio
    So I'm in the middle of my build putting my driver side axel on and that bearing that is in the middle of it and is supposed to bolt to the block. There are two holes but only one spot to bolt it to on the block. I'm so confused by this. I've changed my clutch before and never had this issue. Is there a difference in engine blocks when I had mine rebuilt?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Do you have the A/C bracket in place, or the appropriate spacers if A/C has been deleted?

I'm assuming you have a 2g and therefore a 7 bolt? Generally all 1g/2g 4g63s will have both bolt provisions to my knowledge.

Street Build 189  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

283  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 835  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Kryndon likes this.
  3. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    ThunderChild is right, all 4G63s have the two main bolt holes for the AC brackets, and the 1 extra for the carrier bearing. However, the second bolt hole for the bearing lies on the AC bracket itself, which is different for AWD and FWD, as well as 1995-1996, and 1997-1999.

Did you do an AC delete while in there and forgot to put the bracket on? Or was it always missing? Maybe you just forgot about it.

Personally I'm driving without the bracket and technically my halfshaft carrier bearing is only being held on by one of the two bolts. It's okay but not ideal, since that allows more flexing and more loads that go back to the inner coupling and wears out the axle seal.

Street Build 3K  9

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.769 @ 92.22 · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  4. Austin Jedrzejek

Austin Jedrzejek Proven Member

Joined Apr 23, 2015
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I did delete the ac bracket and moved the alternator to be located back there. So I need to put on the AC bracket in order to bolt that down? Or should my alternate relocation kit have that on it?

5. randman2011

randman2011 Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You can put the bracket back on. You can get the appropriate spacer. When I swapped my Talon back to a 7-bolt and found that I had a 2gb AC bracket and a 2ga axle/carrier bearing, I just bought a ton of washers to space it out correctly. Certainly not my recommended solution, but it does work. At least with 2ga axles.

Can you fill out a profile for your car so we know what you're working with?

Street Build 683  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM