1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Doors flap in the breeze

Posted by Mech Addict, Oct 28, 2020

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Supporting Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Just wondering if this is common: both the doors on my 90 gsx don’t like to rest where the door check should have them stay. Is there a way to adjust these or make them work better? Is this so common that used parts from another car would be just as loose?

Not a critical issue, of course, but it gets to be a pain in the wind or on hills.

Street Build 609  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Your door seals are probably worn. Problem is the've been out of production for a decade or more.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Scotty_R8

Scotty_R8 Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2008
    NAVARRE, Florida
    I'm having the same issue with my 90 tsi. It also started leaking pretty badly during hurricane sally and I've been looking all over for door seals with no luck so I was going to see if anyone has used any universal weather stripping and see what works best

78  1

2008 Audi R8 V8
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

46  1

2007 Trailblazer SS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 193  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    I was actually referring to the door staying open when you want it open, not how tightly it is when closed. Nearly every car made has a device (Door Check) on the hinge side that consist of an arm that moves in and out of slot under resistance. You open the door and can feel where there is a detent where the door will stay open. Only on my car now, it feels like those door checks have lost their resistance. Are others finding this as well? The part number is MB517750. Most suppliers show it as discontinued, though Megazip shows them for $65 ea.

Street Build 609  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    But regarding the seals, it looks like Megazip has them for $160 per side. I have no ideal if they can actually get them, though they do show many parts as "not available", so since these are shown with a price, perhaps they have the source on them. I imagine there are similar profile seal products out there, but the fit around the sharp corner (upper, rear part of window frame) would be tough to duplicate without the specific correct part. I found that my door seals were lacking some of those little plastic clips, which are still available (RTM among others).

Street Build 609  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Scotty_R8 likes this.
  6. Scotty_R8

Scotty_R8 Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2008
    NAVARRE, Florida
    I appreciate that. I'll take a look.

78  1

2008 Audi R8 V8
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles