The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

disable anti theft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony070804

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2011
ardmore, Oklahoma
ok so I did research it but found nothing conclusive to my problem. So Im thinking this has been the root of my no start problem all along. I didnt even know there was one on the car till last night when I went to lock the car up and the green security light on the dash came on (first time its come on since ive owned the car). So what I need to know is, is there a way to disable the anti theft permanently? where is it located? anything will help

95 gsx

Well, why would you wish to do this? The factory antitheft system on DSMs is rudimentary at best; youll really never even know its there, honestly. But, if you insist, go to the fuse panel and look at the label, which will show the location of the relay for the antitheft. Remove the relay and youll never see the purty green light again, though if someone pops your lock from outside the car and opens the door to the trove of CDs, stereo equipment, and whatever other treasures crackheads find so alluring, your horn will never alert you in the night.... :shhh:

On another note, I dont believe that the antitheft has a starter kill, and the antitheft is shut off as soon as you unlock the door- like I said, simple system. Does the starter turn the motor over for you? Did you check to confirm fuel pump operation and spark? Plug wires in proper order(this happens.... often)? One thing to do is to clean the crap out of your battery terminals. If you have a logger or scanner, turn the key on and see if the ECU has any codes for the crank angle sensor...

yeah in a previous post I just went through the whole no start issues! Replaced everything (starter, starter relay, fuel pump, etc). Finally got it to start. ran fine for a few days. and thats where we pick up with the start of this post. I didnt even know the car had an alarm till last night when I saw the green securitylight. Ill install a aftermarket alarm later, but for the time being and cant afford to have The Beast strand me. So you saying simply by pulling the anti theft fuse under the dash it will complete disable the system and Ill never have to worry about it again? Ive been reading about a green and white wire that goes to the door lock actuator that you can ground out or cut, what do you know bout this?

Inside the door panels, there is two wire yellow bracket that clips to the lock cylinder. If you unplug one, it should disable the security system.

At least when I fixed my broken door handle, & replugged that in... my alarm system started working instantly :D

yeah in a previous post I just went through the whole no start issues! Replaced everything (starter, starter relay, fuel pump, etc). Finally got it to start. ran fine for a few days. and thats where we pick up with the start of this post. I didnt even know the car had an alarm till last night when I saw the green securitylight. Ill install a aftermarket alarm later, but for the time being and cant afford to have The Beast strand me. So you saying simply by pulling the anti theft fuse under the dash it will complete disable the system and Ill never have to worry about it again? Ive been reading about a green and white wire that goes to the door lock actuator that you can ground out or cut, what do you know bout this?

Well, its not really a fuse, but a relay, but its clearly visible on the labelling on the panel, so you can just pull it out, but Im reasonably sure this is not your issue. Do this: if the starter isnt operating at all, take a pair of jumper cables and hook the black wire to the negative terminal of the battery, and the other end of the black wire to the transmission. If the starter now works, you just have a silly grounding issue and need to clean your battery terminal. Measure the voltage of the battery too just to make sure its holding a charge...

kchaazz is correct, the "security" system is not your problem, as it does NOT kill the ignition. All it does is honk the horn. I have started my car numerous times with the security system going off. If I rememver correctly, it's not even tied into the ignition switch.

kchaazz is correct, the "security" system is not your problem, as it does NOT kill the ignition. All it does is honk the horn. I have started my car numerous times with the security system going off. If I rememver correctly, it's not even tied into the ignition switch.

My horn is non-functional & my alarm still sounds.

Ok let's try this again! The car starts! It was doing fine till the green security light came on! And what your saying is the anit theft/ factory alarm has nothing to do with the car not starting? Then how is it an anit theft system if all it does it honk a horn? Anti theft systems usually disable the starter or ignition or so I thought?

Ok let's try this again! The car starts! It was doing fine till the green security light came on! And what your saying is the anit theft/ factory alarm has nothing to do with the car not starting? Then how is it an anit theft system if all it does it honk a horn? Anti theft systems usually disable the starter or ignition or so I thought?

What I was saying is that I have never found the factory AT system in the DSMs to be equipped with a "Starter Kill", let alone wth the ability to kill the engine. The security system cannot even be armed until the doors are locked with the key off and out of the ignition, so you seem to be experiencing some sort of electrical issues which are unrelated to the security system, but are causing the light to come on. What other lights are coming on when this happens? I have access to the real factory books on these cars, which go into far more detail than any Haynes or chilton, but Im not sure if we have the 2G stuff still.

Yea lectrical issues in my opinion, my talon wouldn't start and I almost gave up, found out it was also the anti theft. My friends dad who's an electrical engineer ended up bypassing it permanently because it kept setting off.

I retract my previous statement. I apologize.

Upon looking at a wireing schemtic, the ignition is tied into the security system. However, I'm not too sure how this works, as I know my I that I can start my car with the alarm going off. So I don't know what it's purpose is, since it doesn't appear to kill the ignition? Maybe it sees the ignition switch is being keyed to on and over rides the security? It could be that your car is not seeing the ignition switching to "on" therefore it's not bypassing the security? Just a theory.

I retract my previous statement. I apologize.

Upon looking at a wireing schemtic, the ignition is tied into the security system. However, I'm not too sure how this works, as I know my I that I can start my car with the alarm going off. So I don't know what it's purpose is, since it doesn't appear to kill the ignition? Maybe it sees the ignition switch is being keyed to on and over rides the security? It could be that your car is not seeing the ignition switching to "on" therefore it's not bypassing the security? Just a theory.

It uses simple logic: If key is off and removed and doors are then locked- arm security system. Its also wired into the same system that wont let you lock the doors with the key in the ON position and a door open. This is why the switch is tied to the system- so that it can identify what position the key is in when in the ignition, and whether or not the key is present in the ignition. OP, I say check your ignition switch at this point. NOT the cylinder lock that you put the key in, but the part that attaches to the back of the lock that has the wiring harness on it. These do go bad from time to time, and are very easy to remove- usually just two screws that hold the actual switch assembly to the lock assembly, and the harness just unplugs. The contacts within the switch are most likely worn. You can go to the yard and pull one off a 2G DSM and get it for a few bucks, plug it into your harness and turn it by hand to check proper function in ACC, ON, and START positions. While this doesnt necessarily explain why your security light is coming on at random, having bad connections in the "ON" and "Start" position of the switch can cause your issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back