The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

D2 for daily driver/autocrosss (salt)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idk about everyone else, but I really don't like having a stiff supension in the winter.... which is why I am changing in my tokico blue shocks/springs in the winter.

...glad I kept um.

mitsugsx95 said:
Idk about everyone else, but I really don't like having a stiff supension in the winter.... which is why I am changing in my tokico blue shocks/springs in the winter.

...glad I kept um.

Agreed. 9Kg = ~500 lb/in. That's prety stiff for winter abused roads.

DAM this sucks i am looking for a suspension that can take the abuse. i may have to suck it up and get a rre suspension set up. i drive in nyc and upstate it gets real cold. the last thing i need is shock failure. what do the evo guys use its seem they get good performance out of their stock suspension.

i am looking for a daily driver nyc winter driven suspension? any suggestions. i don't want to buy something now then pay twice by next year. i really like the d2 suspension but it must stand up to winter abuse. whats the point of having awd?

LONEWOLF01 said:
DAM this sucks i am looking for a suspension that can take the abuse. i may have to suck it up and get a rre suspension set up. i drive in nyc and upstate it gets real cold. the last thing i need is shock failure. what do the evo guys use its seem they get good performance out of their stock suspension.

i am looking for a daily driver nyc winter driven suspension? any suggestions. i don't want to buy something now then pay twice by next year. i really like the d2 suspension but it must stand up to winter abuse. whats the point of having awd?

Going RRE won't help you. JICs can't stand up to abusive winters either.

BKLYN, NYC / Tri-state area isn't as harsh winter-wise as upstate is. If you can stomach hitting some of the bumps on the BQE, Atlantic Ave, Flatbush, etc (unless they paved those damn roads recently) with 500+ pound springs, then I guess go for it and pray you don't have a freak winter. :p

Most of the EVO owners I know that drive in snow stick with stock EVO suspension. Anyone that has upgraded to any type of performance coilover (JIC mostly) also tend to store the car for winter.

sounds like i may be going for some konis and megan raceing springs. i guess thats not a bad set up. i thought that since these are awd cars that they would expect some hard winter use. i go to upstate nyc and pa a lot. this is the reason i bought the car.

so should i go with d2 and hope and pray or go with somekoni shocks and megan,eibach tein,hr springs?

Honestly if you are just driving the car and not competing in any form of autocross/ road race/ serious drag, just get the Konis or Tokicos or whatever. You will save money and be better off for overall driveability in all weather conditions.

i guess i am going to try it out and see i have been really happy with my koni's on my turbo CRX. but i did not like the koni setup for the DSM it did not seem like a nice clean swap for some warn out parts.

thanks for the info i would just get some konis and megan shocks with new bushings and a ingalll camber caster kit. sounds reasonable for daily driveing. i wanted to get into a little road raceing but if thats the case i would leave the raceing up to my nx2000.

i just want to give the evo guys some trouble in the corners. i wanted to build a poor man evos/wrx the 1g can make the power but its lacking in the handleing department.

mitsugsx95 said:

...glad I kept um.

You will pick up a lot of compliance from the tires which should be taller and more narrow than your street rubber.

JrCRXHF said:
i guess i am going to try it out and see i have been really happy with my koni's on my turbo CRX. but i did not like the koni setup for the DSM it did not seem like a nice clean swap for some warn out parts.

I've done Koni on both 1G and 2G cars. The strut housing is easy to cut and prepare for the insert.

Rx3 said:

This is correct. RRE said that JIC would "Rust like the Titanic." Ty sold me Koni and it's working great.
I re-cut the snap ring groove and cloned the ATI/Koni package for $1,400.

Rx3 said:

BKLYN, NYC / Tri-state area isn't as harsh winter-wise as upstate is. If you can stomach hitting some of the bumps on the BQE, Atlantic Ave, Flatbush, etc (unless they paved those damn roads recently) with 500+ pound springs, then I guess go for it and pray you don't have a freak winter. :p

Most of the EVO owners I know that drive in snow stick with stock EVO suspension. Anyone that has upgraded to any type of performance coilover (JIC mostly) also tend to store the car for winter.

My JIC's made it through the winter just fine here in the Northeast, but YMMV, it doesn't get so cold here on the coast.

They ain't so pretty no more (at least the fronts, The rears are very clean), but I don't really care how they look, and I don't have any plans on ever lowering or raising them. Valving is still holding up fine. I could probably clean 'em up if I took them apart and attacked them with high pressure wash/wire brush/etc, but whatever.

Storing Mitusbishi though. LOL I guess they get parked right next to the Tercel grocery getter that gets stored for the winter too.

gsx951 said:
This is correct. RRE said that JIC would "Rust like the Titanic." Ty sold me Koni and it's working great.
I re-cut the snap ring groove and cloned the ATI/Koni package for $1,400.

Can you send me a link i have a 1g that i want to get the suspension done. thannk you guys fo your input you saved me time and most important money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back