1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

cyclone intake or 1g intake manifold

Posted by pj91gsx, Jun 5, 2008

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. pj91gsx

pj91gsx Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2007
    Stuart, Virginia
    first off, do I need a jdm ecu to have a cyclone intake manifold, I have a cyclone intake manifold and my friend will probably give me his 1g intake manifold which is better, I have started porting my cyclone intake manifold. -Austin

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. pj91gsx

pj91gsx Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2007
    Stuart, Virginia
    ok. I will try the cyclone. I read about it this morning and There is a way to use the valves in the manifold to come on as your nitrous setting through the dsmlink.

2K  0

manual · 1G DSM
  3. Marcus92

Marcus92 Proven Member

Joined Jun 15, 2007
    Woodstock, Illinois
    If I'm not mistaken your actuator for the runners on the cyclone actually run off vacuum not anything electronic

4. EagleTalonTim

EagleTalonTim Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2007
    Brighton, Tennessee
    The cyclone does run off of vacuum, but in order to activate the cyclone at a specific RPM, you need to use an electric solenoid to turn the vacuum on or off.

644  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    16.191 @ 86.250 · 1G DSM
  5. pj91gsx

pj91gsx Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2007
    Stuart, Virginia
    The EGR soliniod vacuum regulator is used to control when the valves open.

2K  0

manual · 1G DSM
  6. thekellbeast

thekellbeast Proven Member

Joined Jun 28, 2003
    Portland, Maine
    Not necessarily. You can also use the FPS, BCS, anything that DSMLink is capable of controlling via the Nitrous Control panel. You can set RPM conditions for it to open.

The other method (if you don't have DSMlink) is to use a RPM switch to control those things. You could also a Hobbs switch to make it based on your boost level, but that's not really necessary. The stock JDM Ecu simply activates it at 4k or 4.1k.

It's nothing super magical or boost/rpm/load calculated. Any way you can rig up to open a solenoid at a certain RPM range, will work. You need the vaccuum cannister or a vacuum check valve though. The butterflies are held closed by vacuum. At 4k rpm, the solenoid opens and releases the vacuums to atmosperic pressure. At that point, the butterflies snap open.

Anyways, I have one (cyclone manifold) sitting in my room that I can play around with if anyone has any more questions, or wants to buy from me. Lol. :thumb:

7. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California