The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cutting stock springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboosted1g

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2010
washington, Michigan
OK so I plan on getting new shocks struts and lowering springs in a few months. I was wondering what the negative effects on cutting my stock springs down like 2 coils for temporary would be. I have access to a spring compressor so the only thing it would cost would be time. Has anyone done this to their stock springs?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

OK so I plan on getting new shocks struts and lowering springs in a few months. I was wondering what the negative effects on cutting my stock springs down like 2 coils for temporary would be. I have access to a spring compressor so the only thing it would cost would be time. Has anyone done this to their stock springs?

You can do it but its not the safest thing in the world. I would suggest not doing it because when i bought my GSX it had cut springs and the ride is so shitty, just be patient and wait the few months:D

Your ride will be crappy and you'll be bouncing all over the place. I say wait, a little longer won't kill you.

It can be done, but dont recommend it. full size springs are designed to be full size springs, duh, right? Lol. So, they have a different tensile strength than lowering springs and dont ride as well. I had a friend with a 1G Talon with cut springs and it drove terrible. Bottom line, with manufactered lowering springs being relatively inexpensive, I would save yourself the hassle and possible later regret and just buy 'em. Hope this helps.

OK guys I'm just gonna wait a few months longer. Has anyone ever used eBay drop springs?

I wouldn't recommend to go El Cheapo on springs. Go with something that has been proven. After all, one of the major components that pin cars to the ground.

I tried the $40 "coilover" springs on a cavalier once. They are complete garbage. Even small bumps will bounce you out of your seat. Its not worth it, not even for just putting around town with. Bounce, is really the best way to describe them, you will be doing alot of it.

I tried the $40 "coilover" springs on a cavalier once. They are complete garbage. Even small bumps will bounce you out of your seat. Its not worth it, not even for just putting around town with. Bounce, is really the best way to describe them, you will be doing alot of it.

I was referring to the actual lowering springs I was just curious if anyone tried the off brand drop springs.

Ah, well i have no experience there. But if there at all similar to the springs they offer with the "coilover" kits then bad idea. Idk maybe if they gave the spring rates you could find some that "worked", but id stick to eibach's on agx's for a budget drop.

OK so how much actual vehicle drop would 1.5in drop springs have. I've seen 1gs with 2in drop springs and they appear to ride 3-4 in lower.

Cutting stock springs = death.

Having said that, I used cut stock springs with Tokico Illuminas and I'm still alive. I cut the stock springs because I only wanted a slight drop, and everything else out there lowered it too much. I tried coilovers, but to get the minimal drop I wanted I had to crank up the collars to the point where there wasn't much room left for the springs to compress.

Cutting stock springs = death.

that seems a little extreme!:confused:

In my experience I've had 2 vehicles that I cut the springs on Chevy s-10, and 93 mustang 5.0. Other that the rough ride it really wasn't a problem i wasn't concerned with performance on the s-10. but the mustang, did cause problems with cornering do to improper weight transfer, and don't even get me started on how rough of a ride it was!

needless to say I will always save up and buy good springs for now on.

The bluntest simple fact is that cut springs will give you really bad handling and once you do it there is no going back... I consider it to be a bad rout to go especially if you have any performance expectations from your car's suspension. I would save money to buy a nice set of coil overs that will meet your needs

Progressive rate springs should never be cut. Suspension should not be where you skimp.

The end.

Very well put I will be going with kyb gr2 and either eibach or Megan springs.

good choice a bunch of guys i know run kyb gr2 with teins but eibachs are good too. glad u decided NOT to cut them. you would have looked cool sitting still but not when moving

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back