The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Crazy knock issues..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner_x

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2010
Waverly, Tennessee
Let me start this by saying that I am not new to turbo cars or DSM's.. I don't post much in tech sections but I read my ass off. When I got this car I went through it and found a lot of stuff that was wrong and things that were not wired up. It was pulling time like crazy, so bad that it feels like you run into a brick wall. I noticed that the knock sensor was not even plugged in. So I looked for the plug and could not find it. The plug was cut off so I wired it strait to the ECU. Then started logging. 43 counts!! Everytime you get on the throttle. With the knock sensor unplugged the car pulled less time then with it plugged in. I changed my ECU and got a new knock sensor as the old one had the black goo gone and the wire came put. I put the new sensor in and a different ECU and no change. This car runs way to good to be knocking like the logger says it is. Please someone help me figure out what this is.

i know there is something called phantom knock and that it can happen from over tighting the knock sensor. also check and base timing and cam timing ti make sure everything is where its suppose to be and your not pulling to much timing and causing a knock.. just an idea and something to look into

I would look into the wiring for the sensor. If there is no sensor input it will automatically read 43 counts by default. Make sure that you wired it in right.

I hard wired the sensor and used the factory wiring and still got the same results.. When I had the sensor completely unhooked it did not default to 43 counts. It would go no more then 9 counts.

My FTRL is a 138.8%.

My car has a new fuel pump.. I am gonna have to find out what my fuel pressure is and check my injectors and fpr.

I am still having this problem. I tried some 480cc injectors I had laying around. The car would run on them but not idle. The knock still didn't go away. I am gonna find out the fuel pressure tomorrow. If anyone else has an idea please share. -Andy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back