The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

crankshaft bolt wont break loose

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSXCO

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2006
Sterling, Colorado
just like the title says i have used a 5ft. breaker bar and a high dollar snap-on impact gun and still no luck. Heated the bolt soaked it in PB blaster and still nothing any ideas?

As long as the timing belt is still on and working I've had great luch using the starter.
Put the socket on the bolt, position the breaker bar in the frame or resting on the floor if it reaches and tap the starter.

Steve

the thing is the motor is out of the car and the crank is out of the block. (dont ask how i got the crank out with out the bolt being off). I just let it sit in PB blaster for about 20 hrs. and still nothing. thanks again

95GSXCO said:
just like the title says i have used a 5ft. breaker bar and a high dollar snap-on impact gun and still no luck. Heated the bolt soaked it in PB blaster and still nothing any ideas?

You don't want to heat up the bolt. Heat the metal surrounding the bolt so it will expand. If you heat the bolt, the bolt will expand into the surrounding metal and won't loosen. Also, screw a couple of flywheel bolts into the other end of the crank and put something (large screwdriver, breaker bar, etc.) in between the bolts and have another person hold it. This will stop the crank from turning when you try to loosen your stuck bolt. Make sure your air gun is set to the highest setting and set your air compressor regulator as high as you can over 100 psi. If all else fails, Take it to a machine shop. It shouldn't cost too much.

Mike

Put the crank back into the block with the main caps.Your engine should be on a stand when doing all this. Find a long craftsman screw driver (long shaft) put that in between the crank and main so that it is parallel with the crank. Rotate the crank so that the crank(moon shaped things) is applying pressure against the shaft of the screw driver. Now you have the crank locked in the direction you will try to loosen the crank bolt. With a 1/2 socket and rachet extend the leaverage by your 5foot long extension bar. Have a friend hold the engine while you slowly break the bolt free....this works and have done it by myself with a 5 foot extension bar

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back