The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

couple of pics that I have taken from building my engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gen

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate, South_Carolina
This is just a couple of pics that I have taken from building my engine. Its a 95 block .020 over with Clevite 77 Mains, Wiseco 8.8 pistons, Eagle H rods, Wiseco rings gapped to .008(I think, can't remember off top of my head. I have it written down at work). I torqued the inside mains to 55 ft-lbs in two stages and the outside mains to 21. The rod caps I torqued to 35 ft-lbs with sae20 oil. I platigauged the journals and the entire motor-mains and rods- bearings came out to .0015. Does all of this sound right? I followed it by the Hanes manual.
EDIT: Sorry but the pics were with my phone. Now all I have to do is wait of my OFE SouthBend to get here along with my top end kit from Howell.

Attachments

• Blurry Plastigauge.jpg
    Blurry Plastigauge.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Block Getting Sealed.jpg
    Block Getting Sealed.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,468
  • Bottom End.jpg
    Bottom End.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Bottom End 2.jpg
    Bottom End 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,467
The standard value is 0.001-0.0023 inches with a limit of 0.0003 inches, so you should be good to go. Did you check your side to side crank shaft clearance?If not push the crankshaft all the way to one end of the block and insert a feeler gauge in between the thrust bearing and crankshaft bearing surface. This should be 0.0035-0.0094 inches with a limit of 0.015 inches. I pulled all this info from corbin's engine rebuild write-up, here is the link: http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/rebuild.html.

Looks good. But for when install time comes: DO NOT forget the little rubber o-ring gasket that goes by the oil port... Near the bedplate.. If you miss this you will need to pull the motor again because of oil leakage..

Did you clean the threads out (block) before the rebuild?

This is just a couple of pics that I have taken from building my engine. Its a 95 block .020 over with Clevite 77 Mains, Wiseco 8.8 pistons, Eagle H rods, Wiseco rings gapped to .008(I think, can't remember off top of my head. I have it written down at work). I torqued the inside mains to 55 ft-lbs in two stages and the outside mains to 21. The rod caps I torqued to 35 ft-lbs with sae20 oil. I platigauged the journals and the entire motor-mains and rods- bearings came out to .0015. Does all of this sound right? I followed it by the Hanes manual.
EDIT: Sorry but the pics were with my phone. Now all I have to do is wait of my OFE SouthBend to get here along with my top end kit from Howell.

the rod caps should be a bit tighter than that unless you have the old old eagle rods, the rods should have came with a guide on torque specs for all the different size arp's they come with, i believe i torqued mine down to 55ftlb's.

the rod caps should be a bit tighter than that unless you have the old old eagle rods, the rods should have came with a guide on torque specs for all the different size arp's they come with, i believe i torqued mine down to 55ftlb's.

Yeah I called Eagle and talked with a guy on there, he said that I needed to torque them to either 55 or 28 depending on the size of the bolt. I looked at ARPs website and they said that I needed 35 with regular oil and 28 with their moly. I bought the bottom end off of a 2gnter. I drove to FLA and picked it up. He did the rebuild and started it up and had valve clash and spun a main. Pulled it apart and the pistons looked good, and replaced the mains. All the crank needed was a polishing. Yeah I forgot it and had to pull it apart and retorque and seal the bedplate. I am glad I caught it before I went any further. Threads are all good!

I am looking for one right now. I want a melling high flow but I don't want to wait on Howell. Where else can I get one?

Well, I'm not sure because I got mine from Howell also. I would check Slow Boy racing. They've become a little more exclusive with the 420a parts...

Out of curiousity, what set-up are you using for the valve train and head? Cams? PT rockers and lifters?

I was going with a stock rebuild but it was going to be more expensive to do that than go with aftermarket. I got the Howell top end kit. PT lifters, rockers, Crane 12 cams, Crane cam gears, and Crane valves. I already have ARP head studs.

I got my Melling from Concept Illusions... some people complain about them, but I don't know what they're talking about. I got everything I ordered within more than a reasonable amount of time. I don't think I could wait for months on end for Howell...

I finally got my head rebuild in. I ended up with pretty much whats listed above. I have the Crane 12's, sbi ptcruiser lifters and rockers, Fidanza Gears, Crane valve springs, Crower Titanium retainers, +1 mm PEP stainless steele valves. I did get a new oil pump from CI and got it in a very resonable time. And yes I put a gasket in the spot I was asking about, it was a small black one. Now I am thinking about ARP studs for the exhaust and cam towers...

VelocitàPaola;151089276 said:
I got my Melling from Concept Illusions... some people complain about them, but I don't know what they're talking about. I got everything I ordered within more than a reasonable amount of time. I don't think I could wait for months on end for Howell...

yeah, but you are on the east coast. I have always had time issues w/ them. Good prices, but you will have to wait if you are on this side of the states. Just my 2 cents. I stopped buying stuff through them. But I dont have that car anymore though either. Just wouldnt reccomnend buying this side of the rockies...:|

They used to have some shipping issues... I don't think it was so much geographical location of the buyer as it was their own staff. Many people on both the east coast and west coast complained of slow shipping, and many did not; it seemed pretty hit or miss.

Anyway, it seems as though most of those problems have cleared up. I speak to Shawn at Concept Illusions on a regular basis, and he does genuinely care about his companys's image and customer satisfaction. I suppose the troubles he had were standard troubles any new company would encounter.

My advice is to give them another chance...

VelocitàPaola;151130689 said:
They used to have some shipping issues... I don't think it was so much geographical location of the buyer as it was their own staff. Many people on both the east coast and west coast complained of slow shipping, and many did not; it seemed pretty hit or miss.

Anyway, it seems as though most of those problems have cleared up. I speak to Shawn at Concept Illusions on a regular basis, and he does genuinely care about his companys's image and customer satisfaction. I suppose the troubles he had were standard troubles any new company would encounter.

My advice is to give them another chance...

True, but I am just speaking from my experience and I ordered through Shawn and still has probs, but i am all for second chances, but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...just my humble OP...;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back