The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Could bad spark plugs cause shifting issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extremities

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
Wesley Chapel, Florida
My car is getting stuck in third and is really slow off the line. I'm going 25 mph at 2500 rpms. There's definitely a significant loss of power at times. I know I need to change my spark plugs and I'm hoping it's that and not limp mode. A friend of mine with a 95 firebird had shifting problems and it fixed after he changed his spark plugs. If it is limp mode, I'm pretty much screwed, right?

It is definitely not your plugs. That has NOTHING at all to do with your trans shifting. If it is starting in 3rd than it is in limp more. That doesn't mean that you are screwed, it means that there is an electrical problem, either tcu, solenoids, wiring, or pulse generators. Try to test for transmission codes. There is a writeup on plymouthlaser.com on how to test for them.

I just got rid of my CEL today. I'll check out the write up for tranny codes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back