The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Coolant leak at oil return line???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapper12b

Proven Member
Mar 7, 2013
St. Robert, Missouri
Ok my 16g is leakinfg coolant at the turbo from the oil return line that goes into the oil pan. Im pretty sure coolant shouldnt be coming from there. It is not a really bad leak, maybe a baseball size wet area after two days of sitting. I crawled under the car and it is dry up higher past the return line so i know the banjo fitting there is good. Any suggestions, could the turbo be bad? No boost leaks. The head is freshly rebuilt and new water pump. Less than 500 miles on them.

It's more than likely seeping from the banjo and running down the return line. Take off the intake pipe and shine a light back there, you should be able to see it.

Ok. So there is no way coolant can leak at the oil return line. I am leaning more towards a coolant line since it is pure coolant, no oil what so ever.

There could be coolant coming through the oil return line but the CHRA would have to be cracked to make it happen. (highly unlikely) You would have far worse symptoms than a drip of coolant.

Like he said check your crush washers on your in and out coolant lines.There is also a coolantt line behind the oil filter so check that too.But im guesing its gonna be coming from either your thermostat housing to turbo line,or just simply crush washers are leaking,which is a simple fix.On second though depending if you have the hard lines for coolant or you have replaced parts of the hard line with rubber,it could be leaking from that rubber that replaced the hard line.

Well, I crawled under the car this morning and there was one drip of coolant, this is after i cleaned it all off last night. So i cleaned it up again and started the car and layed under to watch. The damn thing is for sure leaking at the turbo where the oil return line is bolted up at. I watched coolant start to slowly come from around the bolt. The car does not smoke at all, and is holding boost fine. Very frustrating. Here is a picture of where the leak is. Bad picture but you get the idea.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ITs gotta be leaking from in front or in the back. Because The oil feed and return are at the top and the bottom.

But the chra could be cracked, or like I said your crush washers are shot, which is like a 4$ fix for front and back.;)

I watched it go from dry and then start leaking from the oil return line that is shown in the picture. I suppose i can replace the crush washers and go from there. If the CHRA were cracked thus causing the coolant leak at the oil return line, what symptoms would i encounter?

Coolant an oil could mix with a broken chra.But I really think your overthinking it.Do you see in the last picture the crush washers on the left hand side? Well there are also 2 on the back as well.But in the pic I can only see 1 washer so maybe your misssing one, causing this leak.

Trust me bro, crush washers are the easyest and simplest thing that would cause leaks.This is why I always have extras now.

what symptoms would i encounter?

If there was coolant getting into the return line, you can expect your oil to look like chocolate milk...have you checked your oil? I'm on board with the crush washers leaking but if the chra is cracked, depending on how bad it is, I'd probably just delete the damn water lines all together...

Ok, I see the crush washers you are talking about, there are two on the front and two on the back. All of which are there. The one that is not being used, it looks like theres a plug there with a phillips head to tighten or loosen. I suppose it could be there. Alright, i will replace the crush washers and let you know how it goes.

I have not checked the oil. I will drain it and see. The car runs great, boosts great, no smoke at all.

Let me make it more simple.Crush washers crush to make a tight seal.Sometimes you can just tighten the bolt and it will be good to go.

But I've just replaced the 50 cent things everytime Ive messed with stuff.

Theres 3 sizes that you can choose from.I'm pretty sure the coolant is 12 or 14mm.STM: COPPER CRUSH WASHERS | EVO | DSM | OEM MITSUBISHI

OK, you were correct. I am pretty sure i found where it is leaking. On the back side directly above the oil return line there are two crush washers. One that is higher up with a line connected to it, and one below that with that plug. The lower one is leaking. How the hell do i get to that. Pull the turbo???

Unfortunatly pulling the turbo is the only option. Unbolt the turbine housing from manifold, undo the WG arm.Undo your lines, ubdo the return line at the oil pan, cause thats the easiest way to do it.Replace crush washers put back on.
If It's your first time removing the turbo, take pictures so you know where everything bolts back up to.Its apain that 4$ worth of washers makes you take the turbo off, but its really not that hard.

Ok, i only have 2 crush washer here now i ordered more. It wont hurt to wait till next weekend to fix this correct?

Just let it leak untill you get your new washers in the mail.No sense in pulling the turbo twice for crush washers that only leak a lil bit,But still should be replaced.;)

OK, you were correct. I am pretty sure i found where it is leaking. On the back side directly above the oil return line there are two crush washers. One that is higher up with a line connected to it, and one below that with that plug. The lower one is leaking. How the hell do i get to that. Pull the turbo???
Ok my 16g is leakinfg coolant at the turbo from the oil return line that goes into the oil pan. Im pretty sure coolant shouldnt be coming from there. It is not a really bad leak, maybe a baseball size wet area after two days of sitting. I crawled under the car and it is dry up higher past the return line so i know the banjo fitting there is good. Any suggestions, could the turbo be bad? No boost leaks. The head is freshly rebuilt and new water pump. Less than 500 miles on them.
Could you post a picture of the washers

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back