The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Concerned about the balance shaft!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talondude4

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
Plymouth, Maine
Hey guys i took a bit of a break from tuners and now im back. I got my gst and im worried about the balance shaft, what exactly does it do, and can i just take the belt off and be safe? I have been trying to search for a diagram on this thing to see what or how much work it takes to remove this balance shaft. I don't have much tools to do work so i was wondering if i should have it done or work on it myself. I try to do most of the work myself, so im debating on what I should do.:confused:

I also was wondering when i should buy a data logger, I got full intercooler pipes lower and upper. I got a boost controler and a n1 muffler on the back. I'm trying to avoid crank walk till i can afford to get a 6 bolt.

Basically the belt has to saty on as far as I know. The best bet is to get a eliminator kit for it. If you don't want to do that then ride out for a while with it. Im not exactly sure but I don't think the balance shaft has anything to do with crank walk.

my buddies gst has been fine with the balance shafts installed they are a pain to do in a 1g Im building the 6 bolt for my 95 and they will not be in there its hit or miss with them alot of people have them take out there motor by the belt breaking and letting them come out to hit the timing belt and snapped alot of motor work needed.I will not start mine or install the motor with them in. just gives me a lil more peace of mind

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back