The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

clutch bleeding [Merged 10-8] bleed slave master fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxracer

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2003
Grand Forks, North_Dakota
Well i just got done installing my new transmission and went to depress the clutch and it went completely to the floor and stuck(i can still pull it back up with my hand).

I'm guessing i just need to bleed the clutch fluid. I've bleed brakes before but know i'm not sure how to do it because the clutch won't "pump". I can't build any pressure.

What should i do???

can i try and build pressure by pushing the slave cyclinder rod. Or will this be too difficult?

Any input would be greatly appreciated:thumb:

The slave cylinder rod trick should bleed it. Sounds like you got air into the master, but it'll mostly bleed itself if you top the resevoir and work the pedal with your hand. But get a stainless replacement line for the slave from RRE or the like, and get rid of that stupid accumulator down there.

i dont have a dsm any more but i cant find the answer any where else. so i hope ppl dont get mad about this not being a dsm question. i have a 92 pontiac sunbird. its got a 3.1 v6 engin and a 5 speed manual tranny. the problem is i cant get all the air out. ive tried many ways to bleed it and cant figure it out b/c it has no bleeder on the slave cylinder or master cylinder.the lines are not like my talon either they like snap in and are held in with a pin. im out of ideas maby you can help. ive tried pumping the slave cylinder and master cylinder submerged in brake fluid, with the line off to get all the air out and then putting it together in the brake fluid but it dont help. i just replaced the slave cylinder and the master cylinder so i dont know. anything would help. thanks
burnworth

No bleeder valve? Sounds pretty strange. All I can suggest is a call to the dealer, maybe the'll help you out. Sorry, I can't think of anything else.

thanks, i havent figured it out yet but it helped. if you can think of anything else let me know. i tried the dealer before thinking that someone would help but all they said was they didnt know anything but if i brought it in they would try a few different things and wouldnt tell what. it would cost me $100 dallors right off the bat. i figure i can do it some how. well thanks agin Burnworth

hey guys, I've never bleeded a clutch before, and I can't find a post with it. How do you bleed a clutch??? thanks again

no i didn't try google... I just tried here... but thanks, I'm gonna do it right now

i hope you have a friend of someone you know, who has done this to help you or watch over you.. having someone helps.

also careful not to drip or spill your brake fluid on your paint.

gl.

Are clutchs alive? Mine seems to have blood running out of it. the other day i ran over some stuff, and ever since then I hear my clutch scream and when i look at it it has blood comming out of it. I see people who bleed their clutch, but why? If it hurts it so bad. :(

Ok, for my real post: I, unknowingly, ran out of cluth fluid and my pedal sticks to the floor. So i obviously need to put more in (did that) and bleed it. I have some questions. I know the procedure is:

Fill it up
Hook hose to bleeder nipple
Loosen it up
Have person pump it down
Tighten valve
Pull up on cluth pedal

repeat.

But here is my question, what size hose do i put on the nipple? It sucks not having anyplace nearby with the hose (closest place is about 30 min away) so i need to know the size so i can have it right the first time.

I just put my tranny in the other day and needed to do the clutch thing. The hose you are asking about, is it to go on the bleeder nipple? What I used was a 3/16. I'm sure a 1/8 would work as well.

For a tip, you want to tighten bleeder as someone is pumping it. Not tighten it after the pedal is down. I feel this works best. I usually watch the fluid and as it's squirting out and tighten it as it's squirting. This assure that air doesn't come in.

Uh, if you "ran out" of clutch fluid you most likely have a leak or something. Fix that first before you have to keep doing this over and over again.

You don't pump a clutch system to bleed it.

Put the car on ramps, top up the resevoir, crack open the bleeder and push in on the clutch rod. Close the bleeder, repeat. Check the resevoir level every 3 cycles. Bleed it again next week, and the week after.

Defiant said:
You don't pump a clutch system to bleed it.

Put the car on ramps, top up the resevoir, crack open the bleeder and push in on the clutch rod. Close the bleeder, repeat. Check the resevoir level every 3 cycles. Bleed it again next week, and the week after.

Clutch rod? :confused:

k, here's how you do it

Get yourself a 20oz soda bottle and drill a hole in the top of it. rinse out the soda bottle well. Stick a peice of silcone tubing down in the hole and make sure there's enough hose to go down to the bottom of the bottle. Fill the bottle up a littlebit w/ brake fluid, about 1-2" should be enough. connect the other end of the hose to the slave bleeder valve.

here's where it gets tricky. YOU NEED to have 2-3 ppl to do this properly and fast:

Have 1 person man the slave resevoir and fill it when it starts gettin low, 1 person pumping the clutch and 1 person bleeding the slave.

First drain the entire slave, close it back off and fill the slave resevoir and let the bubbles come up out of the line until they stop (while looking down at the resevoir you'll see the bubbles).

Next, Have the person manning the clutch pump it 5 times and hold to the floor. Open for about 2 secs and close the slave. repeat about 10 times. as you are doing this, make sure the person who is supposed to be filling is doing just that. You will see the bubbles coming out of the silicone hose that's end is submersed in the extra brake fluid and that lets you know that the air is being bled properly.

Your clutch should be bled when this is over and done with.

Clutch rod is the rod that is pushing out of the clutch slave cylinder. The rod pushes against the fork.

ok i just got done putting my trans in from a rebuild. when the slave cylinder was off it fell apart so i got a new one. i installed it and bled the crap out of it but it will only hold pressure fro like 5 minutes. the master was just changed about 1000 miles befor the rebuild and it worked perfect befor. any idea of what the problem could be? any suggestions would be great and if someone could tell me how to check things. oh and also there is no evidence of any fluid leak. thanks for all the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back