The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch and driveline advise needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untouchablecc

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2008
Mt. pleasant, Pennsylvania
Hey friends,

I know a lot of material on this has been covered but im looking for suggestions and opinions in a constructive manor.

My current issue is my ACT 2600 6puck unsprung. Is it working? Yes but not well. I have been running this one for close to 2 years and it does hold my power output just fine. My main problem is the one everyone seems to have with not being able to take a high rpm shift. I have replace the pedal assebly to the slave cylinder. I had my flywheel stepped at the machine shop to the proper specs for that clutch. Now after a few failed attempts with my NLTS I have pretty much destroyed 3rd syncro and probably hub slider. It really doesnt take much to make that happen. I could get a good 1-2 shift down all day and 3-4 but NEVER 2nd to 3rd without a grind. I also invested in a urethane rear trans mount to help out with the engine/trans movement for smoother shifting, I also did the skate board bearing mod to the shifter cables to get out all the slop.

Moving on, Im looking to put the ACT 2600 behind me and go for something a little less hard on clutch parts and drive train components. Im pretty much limping my car back and fourth to work at this point because of my luck with this clutch. I have a stock transmission on hold for me from a friend and I dont want to reassemble with an ACT 2600 because of my poor fortune with it. I have a Southbend TZ I attempted to run a few years ago. I gave it a 1000 mile break in and it slipped on 14lbs when I was breaking my engine in. I talked to Tim 2 years ago at the shootout and he said send it back, they would acid dip the pressure plate and issue me a new disk. I never got around to it.

My setup is current in my profile and I plan to run anywhere between 450-550 hp out of this car on the regular. I have come this close to going twin disk but the cost vs life of the disks really sucks for a daily driver. What recommendations do you guys have over all. I am very open minded to suggestions. (FYI I plan to send my shep stage 2 thats in my car to Jacks to get his "indestructable HD Trans" around tax return time)

Why not go South Bend SS-X/TZ? It's supposedly good for 650+ ft/lbs of torque and still uses a Kevlar disk for clutch life and driveability. I'm actually surprised your last South Bend slipped that easily. It makes me think the flywheel step height wasn't set correctly.

I will post a picture of what South Bend I have at home, I was told its a TZ. I will not be diving into this project untill I get the other car on the road so bare with me for results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back