The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Opinions needed (clutch)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnhieu

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2004
panama city, Florida
alright im a little frustrated at the momen. i just recently installed a holset hx-35 and im starting to get clutch slippage. i currently have a spec stage III clutch and am wondering if i need to just reinstall a new clutch disk and friction disk for the fidanza flywheel OR just buy a clutch disk thats going to beable to handle 500ftlbs of torque! i know your supposed to do a clutch job every year (not that big of a deal) and its been about 1.5/2 years since i have replaced my clutch with a spec stage III.

thanks in advance
dsm_david

I dont think you need to worrie about holding 500 ft lbs of TQ :) And if you really are going to make 500 ft lbs you need to stop ###king around and put a twin disc in the car. A single is NOT going to do it.

I dont think you need to worrie about holding 500 ft lbs of TQ :) And if you really are going to make 500 ft lbs you need to stop ###king around and put a twin disc in the car. A single is NOT going to do it.

I totaly agree,
Is the car still street driven? If so the QM/PTT twins are alittle too harsh. Thruthfully if you got two years of beating out of the spec, thats not too bad. But there is NO reason to be looking to the 500lb/tq area. on a 2.0 that ~900whp:sneaky:

Matt

alright im a little frustrated at the momen. i just recently installed a holset hx-35 and im starting to get clutch slippage. i currently have a spec stage III clutch and am wondering if i need to just reinstall a new clutch disk and friction disk for the fidanza flywheel OR just buy a clutch disk thats going to beable to handle 500ftlbs of torque! i know your supposed to do a clutch job every year (not that big of a deal) and its been about 1.5/2 years since i have replaced my clutch with a spec stage III.

thanks in advance
dsm_david

Yea I dont think your going to make 500tq on that holset. If I remember right my mechanic made almost 350whp on pump, but that was a long time ago. If you plan on making that power one day go with a twin disc setup from devo tuning and you will have to deal with the noise and drivability of it. My buddy has one and its so loud and annoying. If thats the turbo you plan on staying with a 2600 or 2900 act would be fine.

Yea I dont think your going to make 500tq on that holset. If I remember right my mechanic made almost 350whp on pump, but that was a long time ago. If you plan on making that power one day go with a twin disc setup from devo tuning and you will have to deal with the noise and drivability of it. My buddy has one and its so loud and annoying. If thats the turbo you plan on staying with a 2600 or 2900 act would be fine.

Yes the QM (Quartermaster) is what Adam sells and it is basicly a PTT (power train technologies). They are noisy and harsh, TWO unsprung disc = off or on. And when you disengage the clutch will have the floater plate rattle. It is doable but not when it is not NEEDED. I had one an liked it for the little bit I got to use the car.
Matt

thanks for all the input you guys! i figure im making over 400hp + at the wheels currently and i have not even began to touch what this turbo can actually do.

I'm usually pretty good at determining what i actually need but this problem has me kind of stumped. if i launch the car the clutch just slips and it gets so bad that it wont even hold in 4th gear once it reaches full boost. on the way home after it cooled down it held every roll on full throttle pull i could throw at it leaving me like WTF. so i really didn't know if it was the clutch or the amount of power I'm putting down. im going to be switching to a act 2600 with a 6 puck sprung disk and throwing the spec in my 2g awd (obviously with a new clutch disk).

edit: i really could care less how loud the chatter is of a twin disk. i do care about how much slippage i have tho. how bad is the slippage in a twin disk?

how bad is the slippage in a twin disk?

There is none. Which is whats makes it a PITA to DD, Untill you get used to it. Aslong as you still have IAC and a 4 spider and such its not that bad. If you are welded diff and no IAC. Would not reccomend to street drive the QM.
Matt

thanks for all the input you guys! i figure im making over 400hp + at the wheels curently and i have not even began to touch what this turbo can actually do.

im usually pretty good at determining what i actually need but this problem has me kind of stumped. if i launch the car the clutch just slips and it gets so bad that it wont even hold in 4th gear once it reaches full boost. on the way home after it cooled down it held every roll on full throttle pull i could throw at it leaving me like WTF. so i really didn't know if it was the clutch or the amount of power im putting down. im going to be switching to a act 2600 with a 6 puck sprung disk and throwing the spec in my 2g awd (obviously with a new clutch disk).

edit: i really could care less how loud the chatter is of a twin disk. i do care about how much slippage i have tho. how bad is the slippage in a twin disk?

Like he said its either on or off with the twin disc. There is zero chatter because it grabs so hard there is not chance for the clutch to chatter. My mechanic had that same turbo and it didn't make that much power. The larger holset 40x is the mean one. If you look up HX-35 dyno sheets they are usually between 250whp-450whp. But with some e85 or race gas I think they have made 550whp at most. I don't think you will be hitting 500tq on that turbo.

Yes the QM (Quartermaster) is what Adam sells and it is basicly a PTT (power train technologies). They are noisy and harsh, TWO unsprung disc = off or on. And when you disengage the clutch will have the floater plate rattle. It is doable but not when it is not NEEDED. I had one an liked it for the little bit I got to use the car.
Matt

I thought Adam used the QM off of some other car and adapted it to work with out cars. If you look at the PTT unit they pride themselves in being the very first people to developed a twin disc setup for a dsm. I didn't think the PTT unit was a QM at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back