The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

checking knock board on ecu

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stGenRocks

15+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2004
lancaster, Pennsylvania
ok im having some knock problems. sometimes its fine but other times it spikes traight to 43 and stays there until i let off and try again.

a friend of mine is telling me that its probably the knock board on the ecu, but the only way he knows to check it is to try another ecu and i cant find one local.

knock sensor is a new 1g and i put silicone on the threads when i installed it like some places said to do.

do you think i need to pull it and weld the end shut? if so will jbweld work or does it actually need welded?

I always preface this with 'make sure your car is in good mechanical condition'. And no guessing allowed! Get your hands dirty or take it a shop.
Now...

Did you see this thread a few down?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195480

After a year or so with excessive knock, this was 1 thing I had never run into. Seemed to work for him. If you have completed the mechanical checks (and fuel), I would try that. JB weld would just make a mess. Do it right and weld it. Thats my 2 cents.

There is no "knockboard" in our ECU's,its all integrated, so the only thing you can do is test a different ecu.

Dont forget to brush up on the yahoo phantom knock group.

I hope that your PK is an easy fix. Its not always.

yea im gonna get it on the wideband and try and tune it out first then ill post a log. i was just checking since i thought there was a separate board in the ecu that handled the knock sensor

Joesmoke said:
There is no "knockboard" in our ECU's,its all integrated, so the only thing you can do is test a different ecu.

There is a knockboard on the ecu. Mine's damaged and currently shows me no knock at all. I could burn the engine down and it wouldn't show a single count. If you open the case on your ecu you'll see a little board with a black circle in it that is raised above the rest of the ecu. This is your knockboard. The nt ecu's don't have this extra board as they don't have a knock sensor.

Once Steve gets feeling better I'm sure he can help you figure out what to do with it. I'd start with a visual inspection for damage. I'm personally having him swap my knock board for one I have on another ecu.

Edit: actually I found this pic from another member and you can see the knock board in the upper left
corner.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59377&d=1137954210

mavisky said:
There is a knockboard on the ecu. Mine's damaged and currently shows me no knock at all. I could burn the engine down and it wouldn't show a single count. If you open the case on your ecu you'll see a little board with a black circle in it that is raised above the rest of the ecu. This is your knockboard. The nt ecu's don't have this extra board as they don't have a knock sensor.

Once Steve gets feeling better I'm sure he can help you figure out what to do with it. I'd start with a visual inspection for damage. I'm personally having him swap my knock board for one I have on another ecu.

Edit: actually I found this pic from another member and you can see the knock board in the upper left
corner.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59377&d=1137954210

Thanxs, i guess i should contact steve to see if i can get one from him? i do electronics all the time so i can put it in no problem.

BTW im fairly sure its phantom knock since it will do it on or off boost and it doesnt slowly see more and more knock its basicly 0 or 43

I don't know if Steve has any laying around and he won't be back from the hospital til at least tomorrow at best. He's actually in surgery today.

How do you know you don't just have phantom knock? That's all I've ever heard of people having, not a bad board..

My apologies on the wrong info. Thought the board was integrated!

Also, as said by others, assume its real knock before false :thumb:

Easiest way to find out if it's real knock is to add octane. If you run race gas in it and it still knocks at low speed it's either mechanical knock (lifters or other moving parts) or phantom knock.

It's fairly rare for the knock board to go bad - I'd check it for visual damage (burnt spots, broken SMT caps/transistors, etc). If it seems ok, it could be phantom knock. Is it an EPROM ECU?

Here is a picture of an ECU that the caps shorted out and blew a hole in the board on. The knock board is circled in the lower left hand corner.

Attachments

• ecu-small.jpg
    ecu-small.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 163
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back