The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G CEL coming on, needle jumping, car stalling 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbird

Proven Member
Nov 15, 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
Like the title says I have a pretty weird issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Description of vehicle: 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. Minimally modded. Manual boost controller, free flow air mods, hard pipes and front mount intercooler, evo3 exhaust manifold and DSM Link V3 full. Car is untuned and running base tune currently.

Description of events: While driving my car this past year I have had an intermittent click come from the center console area, always accompanied by a CEL, but my car runs Link V3 so that indicates a couple of things but mostly knock or the car cutting off. The other day this click occurred more frequently through traffic and the MPH gauge and boost gauge dropped at the same time as the clicking. My car eventually stalled all the way and I pushed it into the parking lot, car would turn over but not start. I came back an hour later to try to further diagnose and it started right up and drove home 7 miles fine.

The stalling issue has not happened since, but the clicking has, along with other clicking symptoms.

Here's what I know/have learned. The MPI relay is in the center console and could be what is clicking, that could explain the no start while still turning over. The alternator belt is pretty loose... I had a shop do work on the car and the alternator tensioner bolt is stripped I found, the belt squeals during start now and I guess has gotten more loose over time... I hate letting others touch the Talon. The alternator mount bolt to the block seems to be loose as well, very hard to get to, any ideas?

Thanks so much for any help!

My guess is it's an ecu power/ground issue or your mpi relay is going bad. I'd open the ecu to see if you can find any obvious damage. You can test the mpi relay to see of it's working correctly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back