The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car smoking after new head install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well that elemanates my one idea (Thank goodness):)

Well drove the car over the weekend, Car smoke alittle while driving it, but soon as the car started to boost it put out a smoke screen so I am taking a stab at it saying the turbo is no good on my car. Does this sound like a bad turbo?

Yeah it should be here this weekend so I can put it on to see it that solves all my problems. I will let you know how everything goes and I will keep you updated. Thanks everyone for the help!

Yeah I am getting it this weekend. So hopefully this solves my problems. I will let you know if this fixes the smoking problem. One more quick question should I buy an inline oil fliter for my turbo before I put it on? Thanks everyone for the help!

It depends. Inline oil filters are good as a back up filter, but most of the time are not needed. If you have metal shavings floating around in your oil, you have a bigger problem. The only time I could see needing one would be if you are using a ball bearing turbo, and you are feeding it from the head. If you are feeding it from the oil filter (providing it's tapped in right) you will be getting the oil that came right after the filter anyways. So the only thing the filter will do is become clogged, and stop oil flow to the turbo.

I would recommend an oil change though when you put on the new turbo. And also to squirt oil into the oil feed before installing.

Cool thanks. The only reason I aked the guy at the turbos hop was tellling that I should. I am feeding it from the head so I should be ok then. Thanks

Well, if you are feeding it from the head, it shows a little bit more importance, because thats the last stop for the oil. It will be pumped through the engine first, then the turbo. The oil filter will help clean it b4 the turbo after it's been through the whole engine. If the turbo is journal bearing it wont need the filter. If it's ball bearing, it should have a filter, as well as a restrictor. It's your call whether you want it or not. It's just extra maintenance that I would prefer not to have, unless if I needed it. The only way it could hurt anything is if it becomes plugged. One thing you can check is whether the turbo manufacturer offers a warranty if you use a filter :thumb:.

As a side note, I would not recommend idling your car much or free revving it until it is broken in. You can glaze your cylinders and prevent the rings from ever seating properly if you don't put some load on it. Though, you shouldn't go drive your car hard until you resolve your issues.

For more info on proper break in (though it is a controversial subject with many differing opinions), I'd suggest you go here.

Thanks for the side note. When I had the head off I looked at the cylinder walls and the piston rings are starting to break in. The only reason I let my car run is to see if it would over head and make sure the head gasket sealed. I had to drive my car home from my friends house. I drove it easy for 2 miles then parked it. I haven't driven or started me car in a week. I am waiting on my new turbo. Thanks again for all the help.

Have you checked your pcv valve? Do you have a catch can? Clogged Pcv's can cause white smoke, definitly more smoke then usual. Most of us if not all of us with 1gs have well over 100k miles on them. I think there under 10 dollars LOL its worth it to change em. good luck

Have you checked your pcv valve? Do you have a catch can? Clogged Pcv's can cause white smoke, definitly more smoke then usual. Most of us if not all of us with 1gs have well over 100k miles on them. I think there under 10 dollars LOL its worth it to change em. good luck
Yep, I saw where quite a few folks replaced the PCV and eliminated the smoking, cheap insurance. I will probably switch to a catch can down the road tho.
I ran thru the gammut, high oil pressure, turbo seals, etc. Not until pulling the exhaust mani and seeing all the oil spooging down the stems did the guides/seals come under my radar.
Sorry to highjack MJ, I'll update the other thread once my ( used ) replacement head arrives.

I replaced the pvc valve on the car, I don't have a catch can. I am planning to do my turbo tomorrow morning. I will let you know if that solved my problem. Thanks for all the help.

I am finishing up my car tonight I will post to let you know if the new turbo and everything helped with my car smoking.

How did the install and startup go? Hopefully well....
My replacement head arrived one day before traveling again, hoping to have mine running by 2/17.

I have finished it and still smokes but not as bad as it did before, I noticed a little oil in cylinder three. I looked at the vavles in the exhaust port on the head and they seemed to be a little wet, compared to the other vavles plus there was a little oil in exhasut manifold three, so I am going to replace the vavle guide seals in the cylinder head, hopefully that will take care of the problem. Any other suggestion I am open to any at this point about getting this thing to stop smoking.

Thats the thing about this motor it never smoked until my 16g took a crap and caused problem with my other head. So I put this rebuilt head on my car with a 14b that was no good so. I looked at all the vavles and cylinder 3 looks a little wet, I stuck my finger in the exhuast port and notice there was oil on the vaves, theres not that much oil in the cylinder 3 so.

Just got mine back together, I did the same thing you did MJ and put a bad 14b that leaks at the fittings and blows smoke.
Good thing, the smoke is turbo dependent. Very small amount of smoke at idle ( residual from bad head IMHO ) and only blows heavy when under boost/load.
Sooo, the ported 14b I had for the Galant looks like a candidate for the Talon, hope to work on it next weekend. More to come...

Well I noticed my car only smokes at idle and when I start it up. When the car is driven the smoke goes away. So I am leaning toward valve guide seals in the 3rd cylinder. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help!

Well I noticed my car only smokes at idle and when I start it up. When the car is driven the smoke goes away. So I am leaning toward valve guide seals in the 3rd cylinder. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help!
That's a classic seal/guide problem.
If the valve stems feel snug in the guides just replace the seals else go whole hog and do the guides too.
Seals only can be done with the head on the car using a special tool ( about $200 or so ).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back