The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

car smoking after new head install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjboehm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
This past weekend I put a new head on my car this weekend. The reason I did this is that I have had a problem with the car burning oil. When I put my motor on in my car it didn't smoke until my 16g took a crap so I put a new turbo on it and still smoked som replaced the head and the car smokes but not as bad. when I pulled the head off the car this is what I seen on the psitons. So I took the cleaned the psiton there was a little oil on the pistons and cylinder 2 had about a table spoon of oil on it. The car only has a 105 miles on it I know it is going to smoke a little but not that much. When you give the car gas it puts out cloud of smoke. Is this the turbo going bad or what. The car doesn't over heat, no coolant in the oil. When I pulled the other head off I could see oil leaking under the valves. I laid the head on it side and watched oil come out from the valves on cylinder 2.Any suggestion would be great. YouTube - car smoking again

Attachments

• DCAM5810.JPG
    DCAM5810.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 623
Sound to me like valve seals. Let the car sit for a week (if possible) and then try starting it. If it smokes real bad, then slowly dissipates to the little it is the valve seals. Basically all thats happening is going through the seals, and resting on top of the valve. When you let it sit for a week, more collects on top of the valve, then you get more smoke. If that is the case then.. <a href=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=eclipse+valve+seals&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort> Click Here </a>

I already change out the head and I am still getting smoke from my car. I was wondering what else could cause the car to smoke the bottom end only has 105 miles on it and the turbo condition is unknown. I am waiting to get my turbo back from the shop to put it on.

Did you remove and clean the innercooler after the turbo let loose? There can have up to a1/2qt. of oil trapped in there along woth all the up stream plumbing.

I did a compression test all the numbers are about the same across the board, I checked the intercooler there was no oil in it. I am going to get the tool to do a leak down test. When I put my motor in my car it didn't smoke. I noticed the car started smoking when the turbo started to go bad,Then I replaced the head with a new one. The only thing I can think of changing is the turbo which is next when I get is back. Thanks for the help anything else can I replace that might cause this?

compression test/leakdown test.

Agreed. What were your compression numbers? Typically, on a higher milage bottom end, a fresh head will cause oil blow-by around the rings.

Is the head still on? Was that picture taken when you pulled the original head off?

It was a freshly rebuilt bottom end. When he said 105 miles, he meant 105 miles, not 105,000. I thought the same thing. He said he is getting his new turbo in soon, so he is going to see if that fixes the problem.

The picture is from the orignal head after I have taken it off. I noticed that the valves were leaking oil from the head when I laid it on the side.Oil was coming out the bottom of cylinder number 2.When I put the new head on my car it doesn't smoke as bad as it use to. Here is a video of the car smoking before. So it change from worse to better. Thanks for the help YouTube - car smoking

I hope so.. He said the guy that built it was the master tech at a Mitsubishi dealership.

Edit: Don't know about the oil though.

No synthetics for break in

I used regular oil to break in the motor. The weird thing is that is didn't smoke for the first 95 miles then my turbo went bad and thats when I started having all these problems.

Well is the head new or rebuilt? Your profile says rebuilt. I've seen that before. Their is no way in hell that you can get that much oil on top of your piston(s) from bad rings. That is top end. Usually it's the machinist at fault that did the head work. Most are doing SBC and Ford head's and are used to umbrella valves seals. The mistu has to be installed onto the valve guide. They are a PITA to remove and not so much a PITA to install. Pull your valve cover and use a long pic or scribe or very thin screwdriver to get through the spring and see if you can lift up your valve seals. I'm willing to bet you can. Also a lot of machinist think the valve guides don't fail on these heads and don't bother to check. It's also another leading cause of your exact same problem.

On another note starting your car with that much oil on the pistons can cause an almost hydro lock. The compression in that cylinder would much higher than normal with a lot of oil in their.. Just some food for thought.

I hope so.. He said the guy that built it was the master tech at a Mitsubishi dealership.

Edit: Don't know about the oil though.

No synthetics for break in

I understand what you are saying, but that does not mean anything. I have personally ran across "Master techs" that don't know anything that relates to DSMs. They know the basic concept...but no specifics.

If the motor was correctly built (assuming ring gap, ring gap location, and tolorances were checked) then the leak down test should be fine. This does not necessarily mean that a compression test will, though.

Well that pic was taken after I pulled the old head off.Then I put another rebuilt head on the car and it smokes alittle bit. I am waiting to get my turbo back so I can put it on. The 14b I put on my car I had laying around and really didn't know that condition of the turbo.Tonight when I get home I am going to take off the o2 housing to see I there is oil coming out of the back part of the turbo. The car at idle smokes a little but when you give it gas it smokes some what bad but it doesn't smokes as bad as it did with the other head on my car. Far as my friend who is a master tech he builds race motor on the side for people and hasn't had any trouble with them. Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted on what I see tonight.

I took out the spark plugs last night and there was no oil on the plug are pistons so I think I have the valves stem proble under control. Now I have to take off the o2 housing to see if the turbo is leaking oil to figure out where the oil is coming from. Like I said when you give the car gas a nice size cloud of smoke comes out of it Ill try to put up another video of it tonight when I get home.

No I don't know, Everthing in the head is new. I looked at the pistons and sparkplugs last and there was no oil on the plugs/piston that I could see. There is no oil in the coolant or oil in the coolant. Car doesn't overheat. I ran it last night for about a half hour to a hour to see if the car would overheat and no it didn't. I have arp headstuds with a 4 layer metal head gasket from mitsu. I didn't get a chance to take off the o2 housing doing that tonight. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last night I pulled the o2 housing off to see if there was oil coming from behind the turbo. There was no oil. Also I found out the condition of my turbo after I put it on.I let my car run for about an hr last night. My freind who gave it to me told me that it has been sitting outside for about a year. Also last night when I was reving my motor I heard a grinding/scraping nosie coming from the front of my motor. The car didn't over heat there is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The cooling system had pressure when the car was running checked both hosed to make sure they were both hot and they were. The smoke only really comes out alot when you give it gas and at idle it smokes a little bit which I know b/c the rings are not seated yet.The color of the smoke is grey. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks.

You say you hear a scraping sound, have you checked the turbo for shaft play to see if its hitting the housing. Your buddy said that turbo sat outside for a year, that sounds real bad to me. I would maybe try a different turbo. What your alternative from here other than tearing it apart again. BTW have you done a leak down test?

I have a brand new turbo coming in the mail. The 14b on my ca was just temp. until I got my turbo. back. The scraping sound I heard was intermittent. I didn't do a leak down test. Like I said cra runs great just smokes bad when you give it gas. The turbine wheel spins freely. Also I took off the licp to see if there was oil in that and no there wasn't.When I put the turbo on I didn't run my car until the other day. I checked it for shaft play when I got it its have any and is spun freely.

Does the gringing/scrapeing sound like it is coming from behind the turbo as in the engine proper.

The first question should be, Does it still have the ballance shafts installed?

No it doesn't have the balance shafts, had the motor interally balanced, the nosie sould like it is coming from the front of the motor. I only heard it a couple of times.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back