The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

car running like crap and very hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreyinigo

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
:confused: its weird. my car runs really bad. it does have a hard start. when im pressing the gas it takes a while for it to start reacting. i have to press it a lot so it can run. also, it seems like the car is very slow becuase when i press the gas, it looks like it wants to do something but soemthing holds it back. the turbo is spooling i guess because i can hear it and the stock boost gauge goes up but it is realllllly slow. i slam on the gas and the car barely reacts.

also it doesnt seem to heat up when im driving it but i have melted two fans in the process. i think its because the turbo is always doing something, but not sure. the temperature gauge only goes up past the halfway mark when i turn it off and i turn it back on. since it is already hot, i guess it just starts to read the temperature when i turn on the key to the accessory position.

i recently put in new spark plugs, new fuel filter, k&n air filter, new o2 sensor, new thermostat and gasket, new pcv valve and also cleaned out the intercooler.

all help is greatly appreciated. :)

As stated 256262698785 times, all problems with Turbo cars ALWAYS begin diagnosis with a Boost Leak Test. Please do that and return with the results.

seems silly, but when was the last time you changed your radiator cap? seems stupid but my car over heated for a few days before my dumb ass figured out i need a new radiator cap.....

what exactly does replacing a cap do... I mean what does it do directly, ### I know people get lower temps doing it.

Your problem (hard to start)sounds nothing like a boost leak. I would look at the ecu and see if the caps are leaking. I would also check the coolant temp sensor and see if it is reading correctly and make sure the wires to it havent cracked or broken.

As for melting the fans, reinstall the heat sheilds and it should cure that problem. The engine temp has nothing to do with melting fans, that is from the radiant heat of the turbo and is nothing uncommon.

A new radiator cap only helps if your old cap is no longer in spec (or leaks.) If the cap doesn't hold pressure, the boiling point of your coolant goes down (high pressure=higher boiling point, low pressure=low boiling point) and the system temp goes up because the coolant is overheating. The cap could either be leaking or the spring is worn out. On the other hand, if the cap doesn't release pressure it could build up until something is damaged, often water pump seals or other seals. You could have your cap tested but buying a new one is cheap insurance.

Why is everyone recommending cooling system fixes when he isnt overheating or loosing coolant?WTF He already stated that it doesnt heat up when driving and that the gauge just goes past the halfway mark. And again, coolant temp has nothing to do with fan blades melting.

yeah its weird. im gonna take out my ecu tomorrow hopefully to see if there are any leaks on the capacitors. i also wanted to know if it might be a timing problem. :confused:

welll i took off the ecu man and noticed that the caps werent leaking. i also checked the coolant temp sensor wasnt bad. so whats next???? what should i do know???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back