The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

car ran fine had misfire now wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'RS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Germansville, Pennsylvania
I have been searching for the past 3 weeks and have not had my DSM:cry: Here is my problem. Well I drove the call all day one day and ran great no problems at all. I go out and try to start the car the next morning and it cranks and cranks but wont start. Finally I get it to start by pressing the throttle while cranking, and its runs like theres a really bad misfire. I get out and pull the plug wires one at a time and they all have spark (spark plugs are only 3 months old gaped at .028)
I took it for a drive and it was back firing like no other. It dies on me at a gas station and will not start back up. I got it towed home searched on here for a little and went out and tried to start it again, I got nothing so I pulled the plugs and 3 and 4 are black and 1 and 2 are wet with gas, I cleaned them off and tried to start it again and now it cranks like there not even spark plugs in it, like it has no compression. Now mind you I have not performed a compression test yet. I know what am I waiting for, well I'm just hoping someone may have had the same problem and maybe it was a simple fix I'm just over looking. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check your base timing and ensure that everything is lined up like its supposed to be when the pistons are at TDC. DSM timing belts have a reputation of skipping a few teeth, hopefully in your case if it did skip your valves weren't kissing your pistons when you were trying to drive it.

:dsm:

see the funny thing is I just reset the timing because I thought It was off too. if the timing did indeed jump and the valves bent would the car still turn over even with the timing reset dead on? I'm going to pull the exhaust manifold this weekend.

well I guess it will since the valves are indeed bent I just pulled the exhaust mani. there actually only looks like only 1 or 2 are bent. How possible is it that the pistons are toasted too?

see the funny thing is I just reset the timing because I thought It was off too. if the timing did indeed jump and the valves bent would the car still turn over even with the timing reset dead on? I'm going to pull the exhaust manifold this weekend.

well I guess it will since the valves are indeed bent I just pulled the exhaust mani. there actually only looks like only 1 or 2 are bent. How possible is it that the pistons are toasted too?

We are not talking about mechanical timing :ohdamn:

well the valves are bent so the timing belt must have jumped a couple teeth. Now Im wondering if the pistons are ok I guess i will find out when I take off the head.
Another thing I have a cometic mls head gasket it only have roughly a 1k miles on it could I reuse it or should I just buy a new one?

Base Timing is set @ 5 degrees. that's where its supposed to be correct?

well the valves are bent so the timing belt must have jumped a couple teeth. Now Im wondering if the pistons are ok I guess i will find out when I take off the head.
Another thing I have a cometic mls head gasket it only have roughly a 1k miles on it could I reuse it or should I just buy a new one?

Base Timing is set @ 5 degrees. that's where its supposed to be correct?

5-7, yes.

ok Well looks like I will have a head job :p Thanks again

Well, next time, make sure to use OEM timing parts (if you didn't), and make sure you have someone double check your timing belt.

Something was either WAY off, or something let loose, allowing travel. It takes a long to cause contact between valves / pistons.

This is what happened the guy I bought the car from said everything is new with timing, but the belt jumped timing now so, I took the tensioner off and it was leaking and the pin in the middle was broke, I could even pull it out. I did get a new oem one from extreme psi. I just hope I don't have to replace a piston(s).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back