The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Breaking in a NEW motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetech0922

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2010
Piedmont, South_Carolina
Ok..I have just redone my entire motor! New bearings, water pump, belts, all seals, gaskets, piston rings and seals. The block has been maganafluxed and honed out. The head has been polished and cleaned. New ACT 2600 clutch and pressure plate, new unorthadox racing flywheel.

My question is: How long do I have to "break-in" the new motor and clutch? What RPM do i need to shift at? How hard can push the car? What is the max speed do i need to stay below? I have NEVER done something like this before so i don't want to mess anything up :confused: The motor should be going in this weekend or early next week. It will be a little bit until I will be start it. But i want to be prepared when that day comes. Thanks guys for all your input. :thumb:

When "breaking in" a new engine, I always just drive it like I would everyday for a few days. You don't need to take it out on the highway and start doing pulls with it right off the bat, but you don't need to baby it everywhere either. Just trust your own judgment :thumb:

Ok..I have just redone my entire motor! New bearings, water pump, belts, all seals, gaskets, piston rings and seals. The block has been maganafluxed and honed out. The head has been polished and cleaned. New ACT 2600 clutch and pressure plate, new unorthadox racing flywheel.

My question is: How long do I have to "break-in" the new motor and clutch? What RPM do i need to shift at? How hard can push the car? What is the max speed do i need to stay below? I have NEVER done something like this before so i don't want to mess anything up :confused: The motor should be going in this weekend or early next week. It will be a little bit until I will be start it. But i want to be prepared when that day comes. Thanks guys for all your input. :thumb:

Before you start the engine make sure you prime the oil pump. There is a tech post on it if you don't know how. Believe me it will save you a big headache later on. This make sure the baring and the head is properly lubricated.

For the break in part, Keep it below 5k or even 4k. and set the turbo to stock boost or no boost or whatever. Basically, don't get on it, drive it like a grandma for 500-1000 miles. and change your oil on the first 500miles. check and make sure there is no large amount of metal shavings(tiny amount can be common). That's what i did with my car and what I've read. Good luck.

And also the first start, you may be running rich. Be careful. Good luck.

PRIMING THE OIL IS THE FIRST THING BEFORE YOU THINK ABOUT TURNING THAT IGNITION KEY...

As soon as I got my engine in and made sure everyhjng was working I tuned it. There's no reason to be easy on it they brake in better when you run the crap out of them.

As these guys all said. feel free to get on it. Make sure nothing is leaking before you go driving it around though. Also with the new clutch you don't want to do any launches for a while. let the clutch brake in a bit to avoid glazing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back