The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

breaking in the new motor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawn87

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
sacramento, California
so after lots of research ive found information on how to break in the motor and also different methods. the one that i will be using is the "go all out" method.
i do however have some last minute questions that i want to run by to make sure im all green to start the car.

1.i have 272s with evo9 pistons will that affect my timing or engine performance as an over all?

(keep in mind) i do have build fuel system but im going to break motor in with stock injectors. and i figured i use it as a chance to log some runs.:thumb: and ill be using a 16g with only 11-12psi (stock)

2. i am going to get an inline oil filter to prevent turbo damage. and heres the two i consider, are they ok?

http://www.nationalgolfcar.com/Prod...e&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase
this is an example i want to use the fram will it hold up ok and not cause flow issues?

as for the reason im breaking motor the way i am, well this is one of the reasons:
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Turbo Drain In-Line Screened Oil Filter AN4 Fitting: eBay Motors (item 370449413217 end time Oct-31-10 13:49:00 PDT)
this it the second choice keep in mind im only using for break in. im going to get a filtermag after.

yes im running the oil from the head.
im looking into the filter because ive herd storys about new engine break in and how the metal it looses into oil can kill the turbo so better safe then sorry.:thumb:

When I did my engine break in with a brand new clutch was a few pulls in the higher gears (using no boost) every once in a while followed by engine breaking for the vacuum. That way your not super heating the disc so much by doing alot of pulls one after another with boost.

yeah im probly gana boost it after all im gana be breaking it in with stock injectors and factory psi even if its the 16g, but im not gana go all the way out only abt 70-80% just enough to run the engine on load and then let the engine slow me down in gear.

sound good?

indian: i think thats the same thing you mean correct?

yeah im probly gana boost it after all im gana be breaking it in with stock injectors and factory psi even if its the 16g, but im not gana go all the way out only abt 70-80% just enough to run the engine on load and then let the engine slow me down in gear.

sound good?

indian: i think thats the same thing you mean correct?

Yeah, I started using boost around 300 miles, but thats only because of the new clutch.

Yeah, I started using boost around 300 miles, but thats only because of the new clutch.

well i have a new clutch kit (xtd stg 4 6puck sprung kit with a ACT fly)
but even if i boost somewhat it should be fine since the clutch will already be fully engaged onto the contact points thats why im only doin gear pulls and not shifting in between.

but just wondering, you said you didnt use boost till after 300 miles but how where you able to use the motorcycle method to break in motor? just reving high?

I actually used the break in hard method,mixed with the take it easy method if that makes sense. I went to 70% throttle or to full throttle, and let right off into a complete engine brake multiple times.I also didnt want to be washing out the rings by boosting with bad a/f 's on a fresh build.

If you want your motor to be more reliable id break it in, in-between babying, and beating on.

I have ran in different gears, touched boost 60% throttle.
Changed oil @50 miles, then 200 more, then 500 more, etc.
@ 500 miles started to get near 6500 rpms once a day, make sure you engine brake a lot.
Make sure your afr's are all right and your not running rich @ cruise.
After 1200 miles I pulled 185-190 across the board.

Good enough for me

If you want your motor to be more reliable id break it in, in-between babying, and beating on.

I have ran in different gears, touched boost 60% throttle.
Changed oil @50 miles, then 200 more, then 500 more, etc.
@ 500 miles started to get near 6500 rpms once a day, make sure you engine brake a lot.
Make sure your afr's are all right and your not running rich @ cruise.
After 1200 miles I pulled 185-190 across the board.

Good enough for me

so far everything you talked about i plan on doing was just wondering about the doing all out part.

i dont really think i have to worry about my a/f mix since im using the stock injectores and boost ( all my settings on ECM LINK are set stock as well) or should i worry?

so i have to break it in for over 1000 miles before getting it tuned?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back