The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Bouncy Idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxter22

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota
i read a couple post and some of the guys on here stated that the idle likes to bounce up and down a bit at cold start up. is that normal on a 1g dsm. and another question the car just recently started to idle high around 1500 rpm then just early this morning at 2500 rpm can it be the Idle Air Control (IAC) or is that only used when the car is cold?

The ICS is always used no matter how hot or cold it is. Sounds like your ICS is going bad or your MAF is bad or going bad.

MAF isnt cheap i looked a few up damm 250+ hahaha. where is the ICS located?

$250+ Sounds like your looking for a brand new MAF. A used one will be just as good. Just take and use some MAF cleaner to it so it will run better and not burn out as fast if it's bad. If you need a MAF I have one that is not that old and I guarentee that it works flawlessly. $25 and you can have it. I switched to a 2G MAF in my 1994 talon and I no longer need my OEM MAF. It comes with the canister as well just no filter. I had to make an adapter plate to fit my K&N on the 2G MAF. I have a few vids of my talon running with no problems on the OEM MAF if needed.

The ICS has a single harness plug with 6 wires that plugs into it. It is mounted directly on the TB toward the bottom on the passenger side of the car. They usually have a tan or black plastic cover on a small aluminum body and 2 small bolts that hold it to the TB.

When you unplug the ICS test it like this and make sure that all the OHMS readings are within 28-33ohms. I would take it out of the car and clean the end of it off because it will have a bunch of black residue on it. The tip of it is plastic so don't go grinding on it LOL. A small bristle brush and some mineral spirits will do fine. Test it while its out and install it when it's all dry.

If any of the readings are out of the 28-33 ohms then your ICS is going bad and if you get no reading at all that means that its completely burned out. I have rebuilt the ICS before because mine was bad. I wasn't gonna buy a new one with a price tag as high as it is. I bought a used one and it was bad as well. Lucky it was only one pack that was bad just like my original one was.

CONNECTOR DIAGRAM
1 2 3
4 5 6

TEST SEQUENCE's
1-2
2-3
4-5
5-6

HERES HOW I FIXED MY ICS
1. I took all 3 philips head screws off the plastic cover.
2. Pulled it off the aluminum housing carefully.
3. Flipped the plastic cover over to get to the 6 tabs that are soldered to the packs inside the ISC motor.
4. De-soldered all the tabs on both the ICS's.
5. Tested all the packs from both ICS's and picked the 2 that were all in spec.
6. Placed the packs in the correct order and re-soldered the connections with new solder.
7. Cleaned up the rubber gasket and inspected it for any damage then placed it back on the plastic cover.
8. Then re-assembled the ICS and put blue locktite on the 3 screws.
9. I tested everything again to make sure that everything was perfect still.
10. Finally I put it back in my 94 talon and set the BISS screw and shes been running perfect ever since.

you could also check the TPS throttle postion sensor might help and check for hoses that might of cracked on the throotle body and check the throotle cable tension is it loose or tight or does it get stuck?

also there is a screw philips on the throotle body that will turn up or down rpms but that wouldnt cause the rpms to jump just extra info.

you could also check the TPS throttle postion sensor might help and check for hoses that might of cracked on the throotle body and check the throotle cable tension is it loose or tight or does it get stuck?

also there is a screw philips on the throotle body that will turn up or down rpms but that wouldnt cause the rpms to jump just extra info.

That screw on the TB is the BISS screw. Yes it adjusts the RPM's but if you go and adjust the screw without taking the proper steps you will burn out the ICS in no time.

Thats one of the main reasons why the ICS's go bad is because of people not knowing what to do and they just mess with the ISC thinking its helping.

It kinda seems like your just trying to get POST COUNT! Please looking into what your saying more carefully before going and posting it. It could of lead to bad things if the OP didn't know that the BISS screw can cause damage to parts if its not adjusted properly. I'm not trying to sound mean or like a troll. I'm just trying to state the facts to help so please don't take offense.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back