The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bought a used 7 bolt engine block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedeagle

Probationary Member
Jan 31, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I just purchased a used 7 bolt engine block it has 57000 miles on it he said it had been honed should i get it bored .020 over just to be safe. Since it has been honed will my new pistons seat well.

why would you say that? :rolleyes:

original poster: is there a question you need answered or what?

There is a GREAT FEAR about crankwalk, so anyone buying anything to do with a 7-bolt engine is going contrary to that sentiment. In particular there is a good bit of concern about rebuilding such a thing.

I'll be interested to see how yours turns out. I, as a matter of fact, have a 7-bolt right now that doesn't need rebuilding, yet, but when the time comes it'll be an interesting decision.

Originally posted by jpolizo
There is a GREAT FEAR about crankwalk, so anyone buying anything to do with a 7-bolt engine is going contrary to that sentiment. In particular there is a good bit of concern about rebuilding such a thing.

I'll be interested to see how yours turns out. I, as a matter of fact, have a 7-bolt right now that doesn't need rebuilding, yet, but when the time comes it'll be an interesting decision.

chill out man ... crankwalk is RARE. NOT EVERYTHING IS RELATED TO CRANKWALK.

90-99. CW happens.

I would build a 7-bolt if the aquiring price was right.

Super clean 50,000 mile 7-bolt 93-99.....hell yes.

6-bolts are for race blocks.

I believe CW happens, like flat tires, they just happen.

Bolt-on the crap out of it and toss it in the dumpster when it pukes, NEXT.

They way people freak out about 2G's youd' think 7 bolts were .10/12

My 7-bolt will be in the trash when it pukes, all mods onto next engine.

GSXTACY

I am sorry I forgot to say I have a automatic. Which from what i read they dont have crankwalk because of there is no pressure on the crankshaft. I cannot just drop a 6-bolt into it because it wont fit. Now back to the question about since it is low miles and has been honed will my rings seat good or should i spend the extra money and get it bored over and new pistons and rings.

Originally posted by boostedeagle
I am sorry I forgot to say I have a automatic. Which from what i read they dont have crankwalk because of there is no pressure on the crankshaft. I cannot just drop a 6-bolt into it because it wont fit. Now back to the question about since it is low miles and has been honed will my rings seat good or should i spend the extra money and get it bored over and new pistons and rings.

automatics can get crankwalk.

a 6 bolt will fit where ever a 7 bolt can perfectly.

now for your question. if you feel no scratches at all in the cylinder walls, then just hone. honing specs and cross hatch specs can be found in the search section.

have fun.

Simply put, you cannot easily, put a 1G 6 bolt block on a 2G 7 bolt
tranny. It is definitely a bolt on at all. Too many have tried and
failed. Number one, you do need a custom flex plate needed, but
that
the doesn't address the main issue. The torque convertor will be
improperly spaced and take out your front pump. Leaving you with a
toasted tranny. Lot's of custom work by a professional shop with
fabrication skills will be necessary to get it to work. Too much
money. It's much cheaper to get your 2G 7 bolt engine rebuilt and
throw it back in. The 7 bolt with auto trannies are not as prone to
crankwalk as the ones with manual trannies anyways. Very few
documented cases.

i had to make the 6bolt/7bolt decision. i bought my car 3 days later the motor spun a rod bearing. i pulled the motor brought it to the machine shop they rebuilt everything to stock, had the balance shafts removed. Rebuilt the head. They assemble the motor. That was my biggest fear. Costed me $1400 and i got a 1 year warrenty on the motor. i already had the 1st gen head swap so putting a 6 bolt in would not have been hard. i stilll don't know why i didn't. but i just broke 1000 miles on this motor and its running good. i'm going to buy a 6-bolt block and start building it slowly till this one either blowup or walks.

all you people paranoid of crankwalk are retarded. If its that much of an issue go buy a different car. Dsms are great cars, but CW can happen. Leave it at that.

I am really getting sick of all this crankwalk stuff i did not ask about crankwalk I asked about my cylinders being bored over or not. as far as i know the cylinders are the same in the 6-bolt and the 7-bolt. I have decieded on what platform i am going to build so leave it alone. Nothing anybody says is going to change my mind. As for my cylinders i will check and see if they are still round and then go from there.

Originally posted by 1fast97gsx
all you crankwalk fearers are retarded. If its that much of an issue go buy a different car. Dsms are great cars, but CW can happen. Leave it at that.

I think the person that is saying "all you crankwalk fearers are retarded" is probably retarded. Anyways, on DSMtalk, theres a pretty huge list of people who have had or have crankwalk, it also lists what type of cars they have, and other details. Maybe you should check it out. Some noteworthy things include people with ATs with CW, some 1g 7 bolts got it, and some 1g SIX bolts have had it. I should also mention, ANY car can have CW, its just that 2g DSNs tend to get it more than a lot of other cars.

Theres actually quite a few Supras with CW...

Eat a dick man you even said in your own post that 6 bolts can get it as well.

Thats real mature man. Way to make your posts seem really credible. :rolleyes:

Yes, I said a six bolt can get it. But I also said that 2g 7bolts happen to get it WAY more often. Get the facts and look at the numbers.

I dont care how much you know or dont know, if you act like an ass, no one will take you seriously anyways. As for the name slinging you started by calling people retards...well, all I can say is just grow up, kid.

i will never ever rebuild a 7 bolt, not that i have ever rebuiled an engine before anyways but soon i will have a shop rebuild a 6 bolt for me. i dont really now how many people in fact get cranwalk so its up to u to rebuild your engine.
my spyder walked and now my talon is showing the early sings of cw. the spyder started showing the sings of cw at 108,000 and boom at 124,000
my talon has 108 and it started showing sings

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back