The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Blown HeadGasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigerhorns

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2010
Aiken, South_Carolina
Well i installed my catch can today, and got to see my dattalogger in use. I changed the oil turned the car over to let it run for a bit so i can check the oil, and i heard a hissing noise, and saw some smoke by the cam gears, so i ran to turn the car off LOL. I just had to find out why that noise was being made so i started the car again im shining a light looking for oil running, and next thing i no the garage is full of white smoke ><.

So i guesse im looking at a rebuild. I have been trying to get my car ready to drive for awhile now, and everytime I fix one thing something else breaks. I was kind of looking at this for the rebuild just looking for some input.

Dsm Cometic and ARP Kit 160.99

Cometic Complete top end Engine Gasket Set 69.99

Valve cover set
Intake Manifold set
Exhaust Manifold set
Water outlet gasket
Intake/Exhaust Valve stem seal

Timing belt replacement kit 220.00 or 158.00 with no timing belt

Timing belt, OEM adjustable tensioner, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley

About 100 miles ago i replaced the water pump, harmonic balancer, and timing belt just really not to sure if there is oil or anything on the timing belt where i cant see.

This car is a 91 with 87k on it.

I just read this http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/185236-head-removal-mini-engine-rebuild.html It says at the bottom (I heard that if you cap off the hole where the pcv valve was it can cause blown head gaskets.) WTF

^ I would do a compression test or better yet a leak down test before you start assuming the worst. Also check your oil to see if there is coolant in it

Ya. have you drained your oil to see what was going on? Did the white smoke smell like coolant. It kinda sounds like head gasket but check it first. :confused: If so that sucks...at only 87,000 miles. where did you find a 1g with that low of miles....:thumb:

Found it in Greensboro, NC, good miles, but man talk about costing me some money these past 7 months of owning it LOL. I fix one thing something else breaks, and it doesnt waste a min to do it. I have been really busy doing double shifts at my job for awhile, so since then honestly i wish i could go out there, and see whats going on, because i wondering if maybe it's just the turbo seals, or something, but it smelt like coolant.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back