The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Blown headgasket or Bad Rings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

force_feed

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2008
Katy, Texas
I'm buying a 90 Talon from a friend of mine with a rebuilt motor with about 3k on it, and I want to get an opinion before I tear it apart to fix it.

The cars compression is 90 across the board. He thinks its the head gasket because the car ran hot on him a few times before he stopped driving it.

After the initial compression test, I poured about a cap full of oil in each cylinder and did the test again. This time the results were about 120-130 in each cylinder.

With that being said I think its the rings....but I could be wrong. What do you think?

It seems odd that all four would be so consistent if it were a HG. This was probably a cold test? That will generally throw off results.

If the oil added boost the pressure in each cyl, then it most likely the rings.

But a leak down test will tell you instantly.

If you can get it cheap then i say go for it and rering it.

Might as well rering it while you've got that much torn down. I'd have the head checked since you said he overheated it a couple of times. Our heads warp easily.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back