The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blown Head Gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIturbocharged

Probationary Member
Feb 26, 2012
Southbridge, Massachusetts
Hey I have a 97 Talon TSI with a blown head gasket on a 7bolt motor with 150k miles I plan on fixing it over these next couple months. But me and my friend plan on doing it ourselves we have alittle knowledge on engine work him more then me but im just wondering if its worth it or looking for some tips of advice. I started the car today and took it for a run it was running smooth and not overheating but was misfiring a bit. just looking for some tips or some experience i seen there was a few threads about it so ill read them also Thanks.

Did you to a compression test. If you guys dont have much experience than I would reccommend not doing it. Timing the car can be hard for the first time. But basically to remove the head, is to remove the belts and anything holding it together. The intake manifold is the hardest part to get off.

dont do it yourself guys, its not a very good idea if you dont have much knowledge get someone who knows to help you. timing on these cars is crucial move it a little and your car will not start.

Did you to a compression test. If you guys dont have much experience than I would reccommend not doing it. Timing the car can be hard for the first time. But basically to remove the head, is to remove the belts and anything holding it together. The intake manifold is the hardest part to get off.

I didn't remove my intake manifold when I replaced my HG. just lift it all as one big piece.

I didn't remove my intake manifold when I replaced my HG. just lift it all as one big piece.

Agreed. Leave the intake manifold on. Much easier, and it, along with the exhausted manifold, will help keep the head surface elevated when it is removed and set down.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Its not rocket science guys. You'll do fine if your careful and operate in a methodical manner. Double check every move you make and keep all your fasteners for each component in labeled zip lock bags. I have kicked myself several times for throwing my fasteners in a bucket and having to dig through them all later. Read the vfaq and decide for yourself. Don't let these guys scare you off before you dig into it yourself.

Just make sure.you take your time its not a hard task. Have a picture of the timing marks available and make sure to clean you Hawley surfaces good. Theres a ton of info online if you get stuck on anything. The only way to learn is to try it.

Agree you should be able to do it yourself. There are plenty of good resources online (timing belt guide) and a repair manual should get you through. Just take your time and ask questions here if you aren't sure or get stuck.

Thanks for the Info guys I am alittle weary to try it but i think im gonna give it a go? whats the worst that can happen that isnt already wrong haha? I was also wondering about Blue Devil head gasket sealent i hear that works alright? Anyone have experience with this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back