The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Blown Head Gasket? OR Something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS-Eclipse

Probationary Member
Mar 13, 2011
Ft Worth, Texas
To begin, I have a 97 Eclipse GS 5 Speed... Non Turbo. I was driving fine, going about 70 in 5th gear. I downshifted to 4th and within 3 or so seconds, the car itself braked.. I wasn't pressing the brake pedal, and a lot, I mean a lot of white smoke comes out the hood and back. I stop over at the shoulder in neutral. I popped my hood and all i could see is this rusty orange fluid all over the place. (A mix between amber and orange colors i guess.) I'm not sure it it really is the blown head gasket, or if the water pump gave out. I've also been told this fluid is coolant.

First thing is to find out where the coolant was coming from..Engine?Radiator?heater hoses?Radiator hoses??

Id refill the system with water-no sense in refilling colant if its going to leak out again . ,turn it on and see where water starts spewing out of ...then switch it off and get it fixed... it obviousley shouldnt be driven .

Sounds like a radiator problem, with coolant issues, its rust colored,doesnt sound good, we drained the coolant from my friends 911 turbo, it was bad turned out to be a radiator issue. Do a compression test, also.

Thanks for the advice so far. We still need to get the car towed back to the house so hopefully in the next hour or so. I'll refill with water and I will also check the radiator.

First check the oil (dipstick) or drain the oil. If its the head gasket, then you would have a creamy looking mixture of coolant and oil. If not, then Headgasket is not the issue. Check the entire cooling system, radiator/hoses/water pump. Fill it up with water just as stated above, start it but watch your temp while doing this and maybe you can pinpoint where the problem is..

goodluck and i hope you get it fixed..

We finally towed the car home. Inspected it and I have a blown head gasket and a crack in the block. Going to get the motor rebuilt. There was a creamy mix in the oil dipstick

If the block has a crack good luck with the rebuild.

Thanks! And well I just got lucky, our landlords son is going to rebuild my motor. He started out with the 420a's when he got into cars a while back. $400 to rebuild :)

True. But this guy doesn't have a backyard... more like a shop. I trust this guy.

Yes it does I know but its not always about money but knowing the right people. I was also getting a $2000 paintjob for free but my contact was shipped to japan to work overseas.

I agree with the members above, i would replace the block with a different one. What all is your mechanic going to re-use from your block? There could be cast pieces everywhere inside the block.....

Find a used block. Take it to a machine shop to have hot tanked and cyl walls honed. that should be the basic step. Maybe have the deck checked if it's in order. I don't know about your area but, where I'm at, there is a shop 5 mins away from me that sells an entire short/long block rebuild kit. Unless you wanna upgrade the pistons for NOS or a turbo kit.. Hahaha.... Either way, wish you luck on the project and I hope everything works out...

I have a spare motor...needed to be rebuilt. I have the block and head, just needs to be rebuilt.

I would also inspect the head to make sure there is no damage to that as well. Possible get it resurfaced, if your willing to spend the money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back