The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blew my motor :( time for a full rebuild! Need some advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
On Tuesday my balance shaft broke and put a huge hole in my block :( so I'm parking it for the winter and I'm going to begin to save for my new parts...

My goals: Atleast mid 11s on pump gas and have it somewhat streetable as it will be a weekend car.

I know my goals are high but I'm graduating college this spring and I will have the money to get to my goals and get there safely and done right. First, I'm not sure if I want to build a high revving 2.0l or go for a more torquey stroker.. Also what's a nice strong clutch that'll hold the power and nice for launching. I always wanted to run nitrous in a dsm too LOL I think a 100 shot would hit nice and help keep her cool too, any words on that?

Other things I plan to get for the build:
2150cc injectors and 2 255 fuel pumps just incase I decide to go e85 ever
Precision 6266?
Twin disk clutch (undecided)
Shep stage 3-4 trans
Cams and build head
Good fmic?
Forged bottom end.. Good combo?
Dsmlink v3 full want to go speed density
100 shot
Also these are all just suggestions feel free to add or change anything

Any other things you guys can think of that would make my goal easier would really be appreciated :)

I'd do a standard 2.0 with eagle h beams and wiseco pistons, An hx40 would net you 11s easily and cheap, I'd go with the quartermaster gear driven twin disc, Rock the stock trans till it goes, I wouldn't bother with nitrous for 11s, I'd rock either a vrsf fmic or a garrett core with custom pipes, I would also run an aeromotive 340lph drop in pump.

I say stroke it. That's what I'm gonna do with my free 4g64 I got ;). I wouldn't waste the money on n2o I have it and it is expensive seems like the bottle is always empty LOL which is why I'm going to sell it. I agree with a hx40. V3 you can't go wrong, I personally would go lite over full if you are stroking because full is mostly for high revving, unless you are wanting boost by gear or n2o control. Have fun with the build should be a beast.

Thanks for the info and help guys I'm still unsure of of I want the stroker or high revving 2.0 I have a buddy with a 2.3 stroker evo and it's beast there's no lag at all I do like that and my other friend has a high revving 2.0l which is also beast LOL I'm so excited to get this build started as soon as I get hired after graduation :thumb: It's gonna be amazing now making minimum wage anymore I'm going to feel rich haha I def wanna have her done by the shootout so I can see what she can do!! I think it would be an awesome experience racing in the shootout

Thanks for the info and help guys I'm still unsure of of I want the stroker or high revving 2.0 I have a buddy with a 2.3 stroker evo and it's beast there's no lag at all I do like that and my other friend has a high revving 2.0l which is also beast LOL I'm so excited to get this build started as soon as I get hired after graduation :thumb: It's gonna be amazing now making minimum wage anymore I'm going to feel rich haha I def wanna have her done by the shootout so I can see what she can do!! I think it would be an awesome experience racing in the shootout

First find out what turbo you plan to run then you can decide what you want for a motor.

I can tell you this, A 2.3 or a 2.4 with a hx40 7 blade on a t3 hot side is an animal.
There is a downside to a setup like that. You will make gobs of torque so drive train parts will not last as long.

I have built quite a few 2.4 long rod evos with dbb FP blacks and the power band is nuts. We hit 38-40 psi by 3900 and flow north of 70lb/min.

We have a 2.4 long rod that we rev out to 9000rpm no problem.

Also with a 6466 if you decide to go that route and you are able to tune the car on kill 2 255's will not be enough.

It is always best to go the biggest you can on the fuel system. On the car with the 2.4 that we rev to 9k we run 2 in tank 255's and 2 bosch 044's inline on the frame rail.
That particular car has made 805 on a stock frame DBB FP Black

Wow 800 plus is no joke I don't think I would ever want that much from my car I would be happy with 500 whp but yes I know I definately need more time to think and as the time to graduating comes closer ill narrow my choices even more pump gas is really gonna limit my power tho unfortunately :(

Wow 800 plus is no joke I don't think I would ever want that much from my car I would be happy with 500 whp but yes I know I definately need more time to think and as the time to graduating comes closer ill narrow my choices even more pump gas is really gonna limit my power tho unfortunately :(

Set a goal for yourself and a budget. If your goal is 500 hp then a Holset HX-40 like I mentioned earlier would be a great candidate. IF you go stroker that makes it even better.

I like the 6466 but dislike precision turbos as a whole. Do some research on PTE (precision turbos) and you will read all the stories.

I am not trying to scare you and tell you stay away I am just informing you and to do some research on the parts that you plan to buy.

good ideas so far in the end its going to be what you like and what money you have to spend.
if your idea is for a twin 255, you can get the walbro 450l worth the money.

Set a goal for yourself and a budget. If your goal is 500 hp then a Holset HX-40 like I mentioned earlier would be a great candidate. IF you go stroker that makes it even better.

I like the 6466 but dislike precision turbos as a whole. Do some research on PTE (precision turbos) and you will read all the stories.

I am not trying to scare you and tell you stay away I am just informing you and to do some research on the parts that you plan to buy.

Ya man I get what your sayin just throwin out options which I appreciate, and honestly holset was an idea too I have tons of time to research and find out exactly what I want still so everything now is just thrown out as ideas on where to go

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back