The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Black cherry to the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittay

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2007
Boise, Idaho
It was a bit disappointing at the track today.

My best was 13.6 @ 109

It is so different trying to launch a bigger turbo vs. the 16g. My best 60' was 2.0 and I usually get 1.7 in the silver car. But I build 15psi at the line and stutter is at 6200rpm. When I launch, it wants to go, but then face plants and I have to build boost all over again in 1st gear.
I'm shifting at 8k, but have to drop it to 5k to get to 2nd.
For 2nd gear, I have the hardest time shifting into.

We're going to tear apart the tranny and rebuild it. That kinda sucked

So yuh.. anyone have tricks to launch a larger turbo vs a smaller one?

Is it grinding into 2nd or just hard getting into? have you checked your bushings on the tranny cable? Alot of times bad bushings on the cable will make it hard to get into check those out before tearing down tranny if you havent done so.

At least you got it out and going. I found that using the nlts and you might have to hold the clutch to the floor for like a whole second but it will go in and usually not bog.

yeah how big are we talking for a turbo ive got a 57 trim and with my shutter box i dont reach 15lbs off the line :( when you rebuild the trans make sure you dont get evo3 shift forks they wear out :(

fp red.

Yeah buy shep shift forks. My have'nt broke yet LOL... knock on wood.

It has a slight grind, but it's hard to get into.. I have to drop rpms to like 6k. Even driving around at like 20mph and shifting it's pretty clunky getting into 2nd.

Yuh, it's the FPred.

The shep shift forks use the evo3 ones. But the stock ones wear out too.. just have to replace the pads when they wear out.

But I went expecting 14s and got 13s.. LOL. So I'm not too butthurt. Just gotta get the launch down and tune the thing!!! LOL

shep doesnt use evo3 he makes his own. your syncros are ###### worn out as well

Yea, the thing I am concerned with most about your times are lack of MPH. How fresh is the engine, and have checked for boost leaks?

Yea, the thing I am concerned with most about your times are lack of MPH. How fresh is the engine, and have checked for boost leaks?

I just rebuilt the motor, and no boost leaks. If you read in my prior post, it wasn't tuned. One pass I went down the track, it looked like a diesel pouring out the smoke from being so rich.

I think also, I was having a bit of a problem slipping the clutch since it engages an inch off the floor.. LOL.

I know what you mean on that one. Both of my DSM's engage right off the floor. It just takes getting the muscle memory of it to be able to slip it. And practice practice practice.

Your clutch is draging, thats why you cant shift. It shouldnt catch a inch off the floor, should be higher then that.
Adjust your clutch so it releases correctly or you'll just burn up the syncros again.

I just rebuilt the motor, and no boost leaks. If you read in my prior post, it wasn't tuned. One pass I went down the track, it looked like a diesel pouring out the smoke from being so rich.

I think also, I was having a bit of a problem slipping the clutch since it engages an inch off the floor.. LOL.

:thumb: Be careful running pig rick on a new motor, you could was h down the clinders, thin your oil, and hurt things inside (bearings and rings).

I woudln't even run a turbo of that size without a tune. Let us know what progress you make with it, she should be an animal when right!

Man. Fp Red's at 25 psi haul just a fyi. I remember the old days when a good friend was running a Red. You can pretty much pick on 90 % of the cars on the road. Have fun. I've followed your thread build and it's very nice.

im hoping to have my 1g finished within the next month or 2. was this at firebird? when you get tuned it will haul

FYI- I adjusted the clutch. I can launch it now. For having only driven it a month and getting used to launching a bigger turbo car, I was very happy with my 1.814 60' !!! Quite an improvement for the engagement point on the clutch :)

Alwaysboostin, you have a link to the 1g?

And here's a video, thanks Dan!! From the last time at the track. This is the pass where it cracked around the weld of the o2/ WG.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back