The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Best Wheel/Tire setup for a Road Course

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"you dont see race cars( any serioes) with low profiles on"

you've gotta be kidding. all roadracers use low profile tires. virtually all fast cars (that are not drag cars) use low profile tires (any porsche, ferrari, M3 etc has 40 or 35 series tires, maybe 45 at biggest, not sure on boxster though).

look at speedvision GT series: Audi S4 competition uses 265/35, Saleen SR uses 35 series too, etc.

ALL CLOSED WHEEL ROAD RACE CARS HAVE LOW PROFILE TIRES.

not yelling, but this madness has to stop.

any GT series, or touring car races that i have seen have NOT have low profile tires.. have you seen the tires upfront? if so then i guess im wrong, but they sure as hell dont seem low profile to me! and a 35 series 265 on WHAT size wheel? the rating of 35 is proportional to the width so it changes..

18x9 all around. Yes i have seen the tires upfront that is where the sidewall should be smallest for better turn-in

take the Audi R8 for example, arguably the fastest closed-wheel road race car: much higher aspect ratio in back, while the front wheels have a smaller sidewall. Not sure on the numbers, but ill post them when i find out.

Rims: O.Z. forged magnesium rims. Front: 13.5 x 18 in. Rear: 14.5 x 18 in.

Tires: Michelin Radial. Front: 33/65-18. Rear: 36/71-18

straight from the audi website.

while the 'tyre' sizes are european, 65 is smaller than 71 so i'm guessing that the front tires have smaller sidewalls/aspect ratios.

that seems to be an extreme case.. i sure havent seen many race cars with 18" wheels, but can you convert the ratio to terms we can understand.. and how wide would that sidewall be? most i see have 16-17" wheels.. and even at that ive seen quite a few with 15" wheels in some touring car races, expecially on lower speed tracks, i dont know exactly what size tire, but the sidewall looked to be higher than a 45 series tire.. and even at that, its on a smooth track, nothin like our roads(unfortunately!).. i think 18" wheels look hilarious on most cars, and i would never run them in fear of damaging them! thats my opinion, and when i get a car that i want, im slappin 15 or 16" rotas on there!, either that or leavin em stock for that sleeper look, hehe..

the principles remain the same both on and off the racetrack, but having that smaller sidewall isnt always an option: most of us need to compromise between the shaved r-compound with volks and the steel wheels with fat tires. Personally, 45 is the lowest i will go on the streets in CT, because the sand and potholes really destroy your rubber (and probably your wheels too).

BTW, some lower-end race cars do have 15's, but i dont know about fat tires (bigger than 45). Also, there are planty of race cars with 18's: the 360 challenge and the 550 by prodrive have at least 18's, as well as the saleen S7R and the corvette C5R. Even the lotus elise has 17's stock (in the rear), and that car is TINY. the list goes on, but im sure you get the point.

Sometimes you don't have as much choice as you like. I like to be able to stop for turns. That dictates large brakes. I need 17's to clear my brakes and the OD of my tire is somewhat fixed. That starts to narrow down the choices.

Originally posted by 2-0turbo
Sometimes you don't have as much choice as you like. I like to be able to stop for turns. That dictates large brakes. I need 17's to clear my brakes and the OD of my tire is somewhat fixed. That starts to narrow down the choices.

true.. but you prolly have drilled rotors right? ;)

yea the vette's got 19's in the rear and 17's in the front, dont they?

Originally posted by 2-0turbo

No, directional vented in front with no bling-bling metal removed. Re-read the post...I said I like to be able to stop. ;)

what? dont you want to LOOK cool? LOL..

I have been fairly happy with my setup.

16x8 GAB Supersports running 245/45/16 Victoracers. They are +32mm offset so on my 2G, it fits just fine with no spacers but I did have to roll the fender lip a little. Where it really shines is autocross.

But that's another story. :)

P.S. I am selling this rims if anyone is interested. See my gallery for pictures. Look for the black rims.

I need some opinions on these rims . The only time ill be wearing these rims is to show, and roadrace/autox. I havent decided on the tires yet, but in a 235/45/17.
Also Ill have the tein flex coilovers.

-Dallas J

yeah im looking to get a set of wheels and tires for my 93 1g talon awd and im not sure what the widest size rim and tire would work with out any rubbing or problems im looking for a 17" combo. i 've heard for rims 17x7.5 is the widest and 225/45/17 for tires. Can i get a 17x8 and a 235/45/17 to fit if so whats the proper off set so they dont stick out.

i'm very happy with my setup... 18x7.5 with a 555 225/40

Originally posted by Tevenor
......245/45/16 Victoracers. ......

These and Lukes recomendations are the only 'track tires' I have seen mentioned.

For DOT approved race tires check out hoosier r3so3, BFG g-force R1, toyo proxes RA1, kumho victoracer, michelin sport pilot cup, and yokohama a032r. For slicks you'll be pretty much limited to hoosier or goodyear.

I was not impressed with the michelins on my last IT car drive. I do however like the hoosiers, BFG's, and toyo's. Haven't tried the kumho's but they have a great rep as a fast + cheap tire. The bfg and hoosiers are fast but unforgiving (ie best for people who can really drive). The toyo's are getting a bit long in the tooth but wear great and are pretty easy to drive. In the day (like the late 80's with the a008r) the yoko was the ticket but the ao32r is an also ran compared to the others. It'd be a decent choice for a 5000-10000 mile street tire though.

ANY of these DOT tires will make an incredible handling improvement to your car, which brings up my next point: the gsx is pretty heavy and at the very least you will need some good pads. And I don't mean carbo-mets from autozone either. You're gonna need some real pads from porterfield, hawk, or the like and possibly some ducting to the fronts.

@ Hobbes

i got 17x7 on my car (Light wieght) and Azenis 215/45 -ZR 17

these tires are good in dry weather(pray for the sun to shine) but when it rains it can get scary pretty quick

i just finished my K.A.W / Koni yellows setup and this car drives completly different now,it feels as if the car lost 200 Kilograms of wieght
its now so incredibly agile --> believe me ,these Konis were worth the money and the wait.

ill do my alingment this week and check if i have to roll my rear wheel arches

Originally posted by Crawford

For DOT approved race tires check out hoosier r3so3, BFG g-force R1, toyo proxes RA1, kumho victoracer, michelin sport pilot cup, and yokohama a032r. For slicks you'll be pretty much limited to hoosier or goodyear.

A032R's are wonderful in the rain. BFG's are unusable and Toyo RA1's are just "kinda scary" :)

Originally posted by GaRn

exactly.. low profiles dont necessarily make you faster.. you dont see race cars( any serioes) with low profiles on, same for autox.. do you see any serious autox'ers out there with low profiles on? no, most run 15-16" wheels, usually 15", with bigger series tires..

*snicker*

http://farnorthracing.com

Or not serious enough for you?

:)

DG

ok...

look at my post date, then look at yours...

"*snicker*"

It's not about 35 vs 40 vs 45 series. Its about all the characteristics of a tire wheel package.

If you mean that you will never see a low pro that is like 215or225 on a 18" wheel you are right. Like really teeny tiny sidewalls your right. look at 225-35 side wall vs a 275-35 side wall!

A wide enough tire/wheel 17" will have the same volume of air (cushion) as a narrower 16" tire/wheel package. The 17" will have more sidewall rigidity so a bit better turn in response.

You just cant rule out all wheels over 16 because they all arent heavy.

You cant just rule out aspect ratios under 50 because wide tires need numerically smaller aspect ratios since they are'nt going on SUV's

Originally posted by DG-FNR

*snicker*

http://farnorthracing.com

Or not serious enough for you?

:)

DG

Ok I see your road coarse wheels and tires.

You have plus 12mm offset vs the stock minus 46.
That offset would be a bit much on the street right? I mean with wheel bearing loading.

For a track car that does'nt see MN potholes or get daily driven you are fine with that offset as it allows some pretty nasty tire width.

I'm just trying to figure out what size I should get for my rig. I know I need 17" to clear the new brakes.

I know 245's go nice with the right offset.

I'll be running coil overs.

I might modify the spindles as well. I know a welder that welds alot more critical parts than car spindles (aviation). He says he can add some more clearance there for the tire and reinforce it where he clearanced so it's stronger than stock. So maybe 255-265's ?? with the same offset wheel that normal cars use for 245's (minus 35mm)
I'll see. I'll need to watch the fender lips and other clearance areas but the spindle to side wall clearance is the hardest one to over come. You can roll sheet metal.

I want a clean tires in the fender look. So It's sleeper and not to be confused with the low rider crowd.

You look at DG's car and you know the tires and wheels are for handling. My car with stock paint and body work would'nt have such an obvious explaination. That and I like to look as stock as possible.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back