The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Bearings, lifter or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys,

Im at a loss here. So driving the car to work, pulling into my parking lot i start to hear a tick/clunk. As i slow down it gets louder, i start to accelrate, it goes away. Finally, i park it 10 seconds later. Struggles to idle, but it does. If i rev it, it starts to make the noise, but goes away with higher RPM.

So tow it home, drain the oil. Looks normal, no metal shavings and its just a dark oil color. Coolant looks fine as well. Lifters are also good.

What else could it be?

Now compression was 150-145-130-130. I just didnt have the time to fix it last week. Could it simply have been the gasket finally gave out and just made it run like crap?

It sounds like rod knock, but with no metal shavings in the oil it's hard to say. How loud/strong/deep is the tick/knock..is it a tick or a knock? Did the oil pressure ever drop?

Oil pressure seemed fine. Like it looked the same pressure at idle (10-15), i didnt really notice but there is a chance it dropped to 5 psi. It sounded like it was like from the bottom end. It wasnt knocking at idle, just when i would hit the throttle.

I guess it seemed like a knock from the bottom, i wasnt able to really diagnose.

Sounds indicative of rod knock. I've got a SUV right now with rod knock that I need to fix, only knocks above 2000 RPMs, sounds great below that. Time to pull your oil pan bud.

Alright, now when we say "rod knock" i just need to drop the pan, check to see which rod "wiggles" and then replace the bearing right?

Like the car was not running for more then 20 seconds after i heard the noise for the first time. That was it. So think it will be as easy as replacing that bearing? (if not all)

Thats what I tried doing when I spun a bearing in my 91. It spun again after like 30 miles.

no i did torque it properly and I took emery cloth and cleaned up the bearing surface. The crank/rods need to be taken out and checked.

Usually you can't just replace the bearing, you'll need to remove the crank and have it checked, may need to machine/replace the rod as well.

No metal shavings, but a knock.... Hmm crankwalk? D:

Is your oil drain plug magnetic? If not try one to pull shavings out or pull the oil pan like said.

a vid would help alot more............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ill try that tomorrow..... oh god, now im just worried, now its sounding like pulling the whole motor and i just dont have the time or funds now at this moment.

crankwalk doesnt happen to automatics. The reason for crankwalk is high pressure clutches. Before that, a lot of motors straight off the lot walked around 30 to 60k miles, the rest were fine. Theres no metal flak in the oil, sooo it didnt spin! But it is possible that you could have excessive clearance between a rod bearing and crank. At this point you could 99 percent of the time get away with changing just the rod bearing. If the crankshaft is not scared, then change the bearings. use engine start up lube too.

a vid would help alot more............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Actually it wont, because the car wont start.

I still think if u spun a rod bearing u would definitely see some sort of metal shaving in the pan

My friend was just over, and there was none. He agreed, just some coolant in the oil (what i expected becuz i was having heating issues and burning coolant.)

Well, my HG was SHOT! Thing looked terrible. Here are some pics of the head and bottom end. Bringing it to the shop tomorrow, surprisingly it was pretty flat and not warped. Well i plan on bring it in and getting it hot tanked and then machined.

My friend is going to have a closer look at the rods with me in a day or two also.

Im pretty sure the HG just finally gave out, and that was the problem. I guess we will see in a couple days. So what do you all think?

Attachments

• hg3.jpg
    hg3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 65
  • hg.jpg
    hg.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 52
  • hg2.jpg
    hg2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 63
It was leaking between 2 and 3. You can tell between 2 and 3 the circles are not circles anymore, they expanded to an awkward shape. get the head shaved. I think your going to need it, from the way your gasket looks, there was space in the middle between the block and the head. It also blew between 1 and 2. Its likely blown at other places as well. You compression agrees with my theory.

1. Didn't know it was a auto.... sorry.
2. I'm glad you could see the huge blowout between 1-2. LOL.

I need to learn sarcasm through letters on a screen. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back