1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Bad coil???

Posted by Spideydsm99, Nov 24, 2017

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Spideydsm99

Spideydsm99 Proven Member

Joined May 30, 2017
    Cherryville, North Carolina
    so installed a fuel pump today in my car 99 gst with 4g64 sohc engine. Well I turned the key to the on position and after a few minutes there was smoke coming from the coil pack but only one coil. Is it just a bad coil or what? DAE3AE52-256D-492C-BE79-36D73E442DDC.jpeg

Attached Files:

Street Build 464  3

manual · 2G DSM
  2. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Yes that is a bad coil. I would replace it

Also remove the bracket and sand it down and get rid of all that corrosion on the screws and the bracket and hit it with some black paint. That corrosion can also cause other problems if left to eat away at the metal

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  3. Spideydsm99

Joined May 30, 2017
    Lol so I came out to look at the connectors and stuff. I mixed the crank angle sensor plug with the ignition coil pack plug. Ughhh

Street Build 464  3

manual · 2G DSM
  4. Spideydsm99

Joined May 30, 2017
    @chrysler kid yeah I’m still in the process of getting it running. So I’m slowly going over everything and cleaning it up. But I guess I’ll get a new coil pack now that I found the problem. Haha

Street Build 464  3

manual · 2G DSM