The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

auto to 5speed cam swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91tsi_talon

Probationary Member
Feb 18, 2004
Saskatoon, Saskatchevan_Canada
I have a chance to pick up some 1992 tsi 5 speed cams to replace my auto cams. I am wondering if this just a direct swap or if anything is needed to swap them in. Also is there much of a gain that will noticeable or is it not worth it at all.

YES, the 5 speed cams will be a direct swap into your car. The only gain is a little more top end power above 5000 RPM but if you have not upgraded from the stock 13g you really won't feel it on the "butt dyno". You may also loose a little low end torque but nothing a little "power braking" can't overcome.

if i upgraded to a 14b would the cams make a bigger difference? also how much of a difference would the 14b itself make and what is needed to install that.

A 14b upgrade will help with the top end pull. As a matter of fact, DSM motorsports' car just ran 11.44 with N2O at Englishtown this past April on a stock 14B.
All you would need is a new Coolant return line(part number MD117764) and Banjo bolt(part number MF650114) for a 14b swap. All the other stock lines from your 13g will bolt up the the 14b.
Also look for a set of used 450cc injectors to go with the 14b's increased airflow. The stock 390cc injectors you have now will be working overtime to supply enough fuel for the 14b. Used 450's can be had for around $50 to $75 for a set either here or on Ebay.

Thanks alot for the help TURFNNSURF. With a 14b upgrade will you be able to feel it on the "butt dyno", and with upgrading to 450cc injectors will i also need the 5speed ecu to run them.

YES, you will feel the difference between the 13g and the 14b!!
Well, the 5 speed ecu would help, but if you plan on getting a SAFC or some kind of fuel tuning support in the future the ECU is not needed right away. The Auto's already have a 43.5 psi fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, and if you do the "FREE MODS" to the air can from the VFAQ section you should be able to get a little more un-metered air into the motor to mix with the 450's. But if you have access to a 5 speed ECU install it.

Do you need to adjust the valves when swapping? or its just a R&R procedure?

Danny, It should be a simple swap no need to adjust anything. Just make sure you zip-tie the timing belt to the cam gears so you done mess up the timing...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back